Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Are Heinz beans dairy & gluten free?

(16 Posts)
Laura032004 Fri 10-Jun-05 13:42:56

Would like to give them to ds for tea! Have seen elsewhere that the HP ones aren't dairy free.

WigWamBam Fri 10-Jun-05 13:44:28

Just read the label on a tin and they have no dairy listed in the ingredients, and they state that they are suitable for a gluten-free diet.

jessicasmummy Fri 10-Jun-05 13:45:27

from a tin in the cupboard....

Suitable for a gluten free diet
Suitable for Vegetarians

Ingredients : Beans (49%) Tomatoes (27%) Water Sugar Glucose-Fructose syrup Modified cornflour, salt spirit vinigar spice extracts herb extract

Chandra Fri 10-Jun-05 16:14:31

I don't really know but DS has a contact allergy to them, he has it with all tinned products with tomato sauce, but Heinz products (like baked beans and catsup) produce a higher allergic response than the others... Don't have a clue yet why that happens but thought knowing about it may help.

flamesparrow Fri 10-Jun-05 16:16:49

My friend always uses em, so I am assuming they are!

Beans n sausages are definately.

lunachic Fri 10-Jun-05 16:29:02

some one told me only the organic ones were gluten free dont know if this is true

Laura032004 Fri 10-Jun-05 16:32:28

Thanks for your responses. Will give them a go and hope he's OK.

Just want to give him a tea which isn't basically meat and vegetables!

Will be interesting to see if they give him wind though - he used to get terrible wind as a baby if I ate them (even a spoonful) and then bf him!

WigWamBam Fri 10-Jun-05 17:12:34

The packaging of the bog standard Heinz beans definitely states that it's gluten free.

Hope he got on OK with them, Laura.

mamaoftwo Fri 10-Jun-05 20:37:06

My son's hospital dietician recommended Heinz baked beans (the normal ones not the weight watcher's ones I used to buy!) for him - he is on a dairy and gluten free diet. He tolerates them fine (apart from the obvious wind...) and has them now about two or three times a week now. Good luck.

PS is anyone sure the ones with sausages are also gluten free? I've not tried them as I was unsure about one ingredient. Will check with dietician next week.

Laura032004 Fri 10-Jun-05 21:39:49

Well he ate them for his tea - cold, straight out of the can ( terrible mummy alert!), whilst dh and I were chomping down a terribly unhealthy pizza in Pizza Hut .

He's sleeping soundly as I type, so I'll have to see if we get any wind pains during the night.

You'll have to let us know what your dietician says mamaoftwo, as I often have the beans and sausages for my lunch with a jacket potato, and if they were OK, I could have all 8 little sausages, and ds could have a few beans

Thanks for all of your replies.

bubbaloo Fri 10-Jun-05 21:41:37

sausages aren't normally gluten free so i'd check before eating them,especially if it's a rather bad intollerance.better to be safe than sorry.

flamesparrow Sat 11-Jun-05 08:37:20

I'll check with my friend, but I know that JJ used to eat them all the time when he was on his strict diet...

Laura032004 Thu 16-Jun-05 21:48:29

Any news on the beans and sausages flamesparrow?

Beans are a definite hit, and a good way of disguising the strong taste of oily fish!

soapbox Thu 16-Jun-05 21:54:43

Chandra my DCs have contact allergy too to tomato based products.

I think it is tartrazine but it may be the toms themselves.

DS is very badly affected with sores where the contact has been.

RnB Thu 16-Jun-05 21:57:15

Message withdrawn

Chandra Thu 16-Jun-05 23:21:39

Thanks for that info Soapbox, I will check the ingredients lists to see if there is in other products to which he reacts.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: