Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Alergic to house dust and grass - help!!

(5 Posts)
couture1 Tue 06-Oct-09 11:55:49

I have just had it confirmed that I am alergic to house dust and grass, how on earth do I get rid of house dust. Does anyone have any tips please?

Geocentric Tue 06-Oct-09 11:58:40

Welcome to my world... grin
My house has: no wall-to-wall carpets (in fact, almost no carpeting at all), almost no curtains - and even then only the sort that can be pulled off and thrown in the washing machine easily. Very little clutter (ornaments etc). Easy to clean surfaces. DCs troys mostly in boxes. Etc.

You get used to it - learn minimalism grin wink

Grass, can't help you on that one.

couture1 Tue 06-Oct-09 12:02:51

Oh no, it will take me ages to get to having a minimilistic home, I hate dusting and cleaning too blush

ThingumyandBob Tue 06-Oct-09 12:09:59

Wooden floors are great….or new carpets and a very good hoover if you can get away with it, always damp dust and use the hoover with brush attachment to get your cobwebs (never a feather duster, they make me sneeze before I have even started), then hoover your skirting boards and then mop.

You can buy washable pillows and duvets and even a special hoover (quite expensive) for you bed. In my experience though you just need to make sure you don’t let the dust build up and when you do housework don’t let the dust cloud up, so use a plastic brush rather than a bristle one when you sweep your floors.

As for the grass, I am saving up for false grass, sounds crazy, but lawn mowing is such a hassle in our house…I have to go in while the lawn is cut and shut all the windows and doors….any way I was at a display garden and they had false grass, my idea of heaven, obviously it would look better in a well designed small area rather than a massive garden!

teatank Tue 06-Oct-09 12:26:42

try using an air purifier its sucks quite a lot of dust out of the air. you can get them for as cheap as £15. also the best hoover ive found are miele they are a bit more expensive but worth every penny.it sucks up almost anything thats not nailed to the floor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now