Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Neocate - ok to boil water in a.m for afternoon feed (15 mo)??

(9 Posts)
MudMum Sat 03-Oct-09 11:16:23

Sorry this may be stupid/obvious but I've bf and am blissfully ignorant about formula rules.

DS is going to nursery (boohiss) and will need a feed in the aft, they've asked me to bring the measured water and formula. I've only mixed it from freshly boiled water, right prior to feeding, which is annoying as takes ages to cool etc. I've been giving him tap water for months though...so am I faffing for nothing?

BertieBotts Sat 03-Oct-09 11:26:14

Have you asked in breast/bottlefeeding section?

BertieBotts Sat 03-Oct-09 11:28:04

Although - forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why does he need formula at 15mo? Could he not have some full fat milk - goats milk, soya milk?

MudMum Sat 03-Oct-09 11:31:13

Hello,

He's allergic to egg, milk and soy unfortunately. The dietician said that they used to recommend rice milk (!) after 1 year, but the new guidelines have suggested to carry on with Neocate until he'll be retested for milk allergy at 18 months. I didn't ask about goats milk as he takes the Neocate fine thank god. He's still bf in morning and at night (and on demand in the day)

babybarrister Sat 03-Oct-09 18:21:43

I used Nutramigen up to age 2. Tap IMO!!!

BertieBotts Sat 03-Oct-09 18:25:14

Ah ok. Fair enough I do know that the guidelines about preparing formula are because the boiling water kills any nasties in the powder (which isn't sterile) so if nursery are going to prepare it with cold water anyway you might as well send tap water as it's not going to make much difference at this age.

babybarrister Sat 03-Oct-09 18:32:39

just think of what he will be "ingesting" from other sources - fluff, dust, paint etc etc - a bit of tap water is frankly the least of it!

chachachachacha Sat 03-Oct-09 18:34:57

I used to just use tap water too - never given advice on using boiled water.

MudMum Sun 04-Oct-09 09:09:16

Good good. Yes, he puts absolutely everything else in his mouth! thanks everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now