Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Starting on wheat?

(4 Posts)
girlsyearapart Wed 30-Sep-09 08:52:13

Dd is now 1 and has shown up negative on her skin pricks for wheat so looks like has grown out of wheat allergy.

Dietitian said we can start her slowly on wheat.

Had a couple of breadsticks last few days no reaction (woo hoo!)

Question is how slow/fast do I go now with the wheat?

Should it be normal pasta from now on?

Still not allowed dairy/soya or egg.

tatt Wed 30-Sep-09 10:19:57

a lot of pasta contains egg so you'd still need to watch that.

Shop bought bread can contain lots of other things that can be problems (a lot of it has soy) so would be inclined to make bread in a breadmaker and introduce that next - but I don't have experience of problems with wheat.

Pluginbaby Wed 30-Sep-09 10:32:44

I have an allergic DD, mainly eggs so echo the pasta thing, although most standard pasta is fine its things like lasagne and tagliatelle that are the problem. However she also reacts to the fillers and preservatives in bread, very badly!

We bake bread and it has improved things immensly, where I thought she had a wheat intollerance (Coeliac runs in the family)we now know we are fine!

Saying that with my DD allegens build up in her system, (we still have some undiagnosed ones) until she reaches a critical point then we have a huge reaction.

The way I manage it is to ensure all things that she has ever had a vague problem with are never eaten more than once a day if we can help it. Have had allergy problems now for 12 years and have things very under control now. Although it does mean cooking most food from scratch and constant label watching.

girlsyearapart Wed 30-Sep-09 18:51:48

well breadsticks seem to be a goer.

tried her on some bread today tesco finest brown bread with pure spread on.Scrutinised label no cmp or egg.

face looking bit patchy but she's not itching.

would be a lifestyle revolution if she could have bread!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now