Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

1st Birthday cake recipe for allergic son

(19 Posts)
mamaoftwo Tue 07-Jun-05 20:13:07

This is my first post. I've been reading the discussions for a while but only just taking the plunge to add something!

Anyway, my youngest son will be one in three weeks time. He has mulitiple food allergies/intolerances. Does anyone have a recipe for a birthday cake which is dairy, egg, gluten, wheat and soya free?

Many thanks

Nightynight Tue 07-Jun-05 21:19:31

I never had any recipes, I just used to experiment. You can use bananas to replace egg, and gluten free flour (is it soy free?) from healthfood or Sainsbury. Dairy free is no prob with margerine of course.
It might be a good idea to make it choc as that's a strong flavour, and some of the wheat replacement flour tastes a bit funny. And lots of sweets/icing decorations.

Are there any recipe books on the gluten free flour packs?

bobbybob Wed 08-Jun-05 11:00:09

That's quite a list to avoid and still get a cake that sticks together. I would consider making lots of individual buns instead.

If you can find Orgran No Egg it's amazing, and is free of all the things your ds can't have.

I find that a lemon gives a lighter cake, white vinegar gives the same result also (but not sure if vinegar is ever gluten free)

Personally I would try to find a packet mix - it will be expensive, but it's a special occasion. I think icing sugar contains cornflour so that should be okay. Agree that chocolate is an excellent flavouring.

bobbybob Wed 08-Jun-05 11:00:46

Oh and use oil, not marg. Works much better with egg free recipes.

mamaoftwo Wed 08-Jun-05 14:03:38

Thanks both for your tips. I've never attempted to cook anything sweet for him - poor thing's lived on fruit for his desserts since he was weaned! Actually I did make some Carob crispy cakes once but no one ate them!

Re the egg replacer, the one I bought recenlty has Soya bean extract, but I will look out for the one you suggested.

Re chocolate, what do you use? I only thought I could use Carob. Or I suppose I could use cocoa powder.

Thanks again for your help. I really am grateful for any advice/tips. I'm not very good at this exclusion diet and consequently my son lives on a very basic, repetitive diet! I was never much of a cook before I had him so I am learning the hard way.

PS Made some flapjacks this morning, got the recipe from the box of rice/millet porridge. (porridge flakes, golden syrup, sugar and Pure spread.) Still trying to get them out of the tin... Think they will be far too hard for him if I ever manage it - although may be okay for the rest of the family (who are allergy free!)

Nightynight Wed 08-Jun-05 14:50:34

Any good quality dark cooking chocolate bars should be milk and soy free. (if you're sure he doesn't react to chocolate?)

Sorry, I cant think of anything to cook apart from flapjacks and rice krispie cakes at the moment!

You just need to plunge into the normal cakes with replacements really!

Have you checked out the range of cakes in Sainsburys? I used to buy some apricot squares made by a small bakery, but they may have had soy in, Im not sure.

imation Wed 08-Jun-05 17:26:09

hi there as my ds seems to be allergic to almost everything i made special bday cake from this:

-rice cakes
-bananas
-apples

dit in layers mixed with sheep yourgurt. sounds strange but he loved it and very unusual

crazyandconfused Wed 08-Jun-05 17:47:22

7g Easyblend(instant)dried yeast
25g Soya/Soy flour
160g ground rice
25g wheat free cornflour/(cornstarch)
50g of ground almonds
75g brown sugar plus extra for sprinkling
2 tsp cinnamon
3tbs sunflour oil
150ml pineapple juice
1 medium eating apple cored and sliced (not peeled)
50g carrot sliced
1 lemon grated rind
225g dried fruit salad, eg prunes apricots, peaches, pears, chopped

1 pre heat oven to 350F/180C/gas mark 4
2 Mix yeast Soya/ soy flour almonds, sugarand cinnamon in a bowl then stir in oil
3 Warm pineapple juice to luke warm then pour in to liquidizer
4 stir in the chopped dried fruit and turn in to a greased souffle dish. Smooth the top with a knife ant sprinkle with sugar
5 Bake above the centre of the oven for about an hour or until skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean
6 Leave to cool in the dish before turning out store wrapped in the fridge and eat within a week

My son has the same allergies and he loves this cake! its a bit different but yummy I hope this helps

crazyandconfused Wed 08-Jun-05 17:50:11

I have a great book called Easy wheat, egg and milk-free cooking by Rita Greer it has recipies for all courses of a meal and loads of puddings I think you would really benifit from it Until I bought it my son lived on chopped fruit and veg!

bobbybob Wed 08-Jun-05 21:03:58

Just use cocoa powder for the chocolatey bit.

You will need to experiment over the next week, so feed him a little of the best ones, so that if he has a reaction it isn't on his birthday.

mamaoftwo Wed 08-Jun-05 21:13:41

Thank you everyone for your tips and ideas. I feel like I have some friends out there who share the same problems I do. It can be so isolating managing this. I know you will understand what I mean. By the way, anyone got any experience of GORD alongside allergies/intolerance/ezcema/asthma?

crazyandconfused - that book you mentioned sounds great. Are many of the recipes soya free?

marne Wed 08-Jun-05 21:21:02

Hi mamaoftwo,
I work for a bakery which makes gluten and wheat free cakes and we are also trying to find a replacement for eggs, we have made dairy free cakes using loive oil and we use ground almond, we dont use rice flour or soya as it doesnt taste as good.I will see if i can find you a recipe tomorow if that isnt too late?

mamaoftwo Wed 08-Jun-05 22:19:54

That sounds great marne. Not too late at all. Big day is 26 June. Thanks

crazyandconfused Thu 09-Jun-05 12:27:09

All the recipies in the book are egg , wheat and milk free some though not many have Soya?Soy in them, let us know how the birthday boy gets on! I'm sure you will all have a great day!

alhambra Thu 09-Jun-05 19:29:51

My dd has all those allergies.For birthday cakes I go for the ds chocolate mix, made with rice milk and pure.Then I add really good quality dark chocolate on the top and jelly diamonds. She's 4 now, and my attempts to make my own cake using rice/potato flours were so repulsive I've given up. I think part of one - 2002 - may still be stuck on our ceiling, actually.

marne Thu 09-Jun-05 19:57:56

Didnt have much luck finding a recipe but how about a rice crispy cake with chocolate,you could add dried fruit, sweets even marshmellows,they are east to make and taste yummy.

bunny2 Thu 09-Jun-05 21:28:07

Here is the one I used for my ds's first birthday:

4 oz rice flour
4 oz buckwheat flour (substitue with rice flour if you want)
4 oz Tomor margerine
4 oz brown suger
2 tsp commercial wheat-free baking powder (avaialbe from Sainsburys and health-food shops)
4 oz currants/sultanas
2 oz chopped dates
milk substitute to mix

Preheat oven gas 4 / 180C
Sift flours into bowl
Rub in tomor to make fine breadcrumbs
Add sugar, baking powder and dried fruit plus enough milk substitute ti mix to stiff consistency
Put into 6 inch cake tin and bake 1 hour

mamaoftwo Fri 10-Jun-05 20:27:20

Thanks everyone for your support. I am spoilt for choice now! And I've just ordered that book from Amazon recommended by crazyandconfused so plan to spend even more time in the kitchen over the next week or so planning the big day!

We get the results of his latest RAST test on Friday when we see his consultant. The plan is to start to reintroduce the least reactive of the previously intolerant food groups. Fingers crossed!

PS any present ideas for a one year old whose three year old brother already has EVERYTHING? We want to get him something that's HIS, but don't want to waste money doubling up with things we already have for son number one. I know he won't care at this stage, but I'd hate him to look back in a few years time and ask why all the toys were his brother's first. Thanks!

mamaoftwo Wed 15-Jun-05 21:26:29

crazyandconfused - that book arrived today. I'm going to take it to bed with me. What are your favourite recipes??

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: