Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what to eat during pregnancy if you already have LO with severe eczema

(7 Posts)
whenwillisleepagain Sat 26-Sep-09 19:39:27

Sorry, I'm sure there was a thread on this earlier this year, but I can't find it. I have a feeling there is now some evidence that avoiding certain foods and eating others can help (and probiotics too IIRC?). Can anyone advise me, thanks ever so much.

girlsyearapart Sat 26-Sep-09 21:02:35

Hi also interested in this.
Dd1 is fine no allergies or excema. As she was pfb and DH had childhood excema/adult asthma I avoided peanuts along with other normal pregnancy no nos.

Dd2 had severely bad excema hayfever and allergies. During that pg I ate some peanuts (Crunchy Nut CF mainly..) and avoided all the other stuff.

That was the only difference.

As we are trying for a 3rd I asked dd2s dietitian and she said just to follow normal preg guidelines nothing different.
The changes would be after the baby was born.

The dietitian said the 3rd would be referred asap if there was any sign of excema/allergies and put on the hypoallergenic formula.

She also said if we wanted then any future dcs could be be put on a 'lighter' version of hypoallergenic formula eg Pepti straight away.

Weaning would be done slowly giving to the least allergicky foods first and introducing things one at a time to check for reactions.

Interested in any responses you get as I'm willing to do anything to stop another dc of mine suffer the way dd2 has.

whenwillisleepagain Sat 03-Oct-09 18:00:37

Well, it looks like you and I were the only people interested in this! I saw GP yesterday (she used to be dermatologist, so is knowledgeable in this area). She said avoid peanuts and that's it. I haven't knowingly eaten any, but think I did when I was pg with DS but didn't know. Thanks for your post anyway, found it interesting and helpful.

girlsyearapart Fri 09-Oct-09 08:19:55

well I'm with you at least!

tatt Fri 09-Oct-09 23:02:14

not much evidence for avoiding foods at all. Some evidence for probiotics and a healthy diet with lots fo veg might help prevent or delay asthma. Sorry for the rush - off to bed.

Cokie Mon 19-Oct-09 14:16:27

You could try this..http://www.probiotics4infanthealth.com/vinalac-facts.html

whelk Mon 19-Oct-09 20:49:27

OUr allergy specilaist said to eat lots of peanuts in pregnancy to avoid allergy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now