Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Soya-free bread?

(6 Posts)
Sheilsie Fri 25-Sep-09 00:41:48

My 10 month old DD is allergic to cows milk and egg and so I have been delaying introducing wheat and soya as a precaution. However, I tried wheat (Weetabix) last weekend with no problems yet so would now like to try her on supermarket-bought bread. The only problem is that all the brands I have looked at seem to contain soya flour, and I'd like to wait a bit longer before I try soya. Does anybody know of a brand of bread that is soya-free? Thanks

AnAuntieNotAMum Fri 25-Sep-09 01:04:46

The flatbreads and pitta that I get are just wheatflour. However they are quite high on salt which might not be great for a 10 month year old.

It's actually really easy to make a basic pitta/flatbread, if you Google it there are a lot of recipes. Perhaps that would be a way to start her gently to see how she tolerates the wheat?

mad4myboys Fri 25-Sep-09 07:16:06

tesco do one in their finest range, stonemeal or something?? Just tastes like soft brown bread. Also waitrose do one too that is cut bread and is again a stone meal/best of both type bread

Bilbomum Fri 25-Sep-09 12:30:56

M&S do two sliced white loaves, one called Crusty White and the other has a light blue square on the packaging but I can't remember the name. They also do a couple of brown loaves and are the only place I know that does dairy/egg/soya free rolls - both the white & brown finger rolls are ok and also the baps.

alison222 Fri 25-Sep-09 13:23:13

Hi , I found it more or less imposible to buy non soya egg and milk free bread.
DS was allergic to soya and had a milk intolerance. He still is allergic to eggs, nuts sesame.

French bread usually does not have milk or egg no I think Soya but you would need to check as they keep on changing the ingredients.

Most supermarket breads have soya in them - even those off the bakery counter.

we bought a bread machine in the end - a cheap one from Argos and 6 years later are now on our third one having worn the first 2 out.

good luck

Sheilsie Fri 25-Sep-09 21:38:46

Thanks girls! I'm doing my Tesco online shop tonight so have checked the ingredients on the Tesco Finest stoneground wholemeal bread and, right enough, it is soya-free. So I'll give that a go. Up until now my DD has been eating homemade bread made with wheat-free flour in my sister's breadmaker, but I'd like to give sis a break or at least cut down how much I ask her for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now