Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS's eczema has cleared up - feel stupid that I didn't think of this sooner!

(25 Posts)
RumourOfAHurricane Fri 18-Sep-09 15:53:36

Message withdrawn

brimfull Fri 18-Sep-09 15:59:19

same story here

ds had awful eczema up until I took him off bottles and he refused to drink milk form a cup

he refuses all milky things ,creamy ,cheesy etc

eczema is fine now,occassional small outbreaks at the bak of knees and elbows only

He was tested for allergy to milk at his allergy appt and he is not allergic but it definitely excarebates his eczema.

He likes melted cheese and when he's had a large amount his skin reacts badly.

Glad you ds' is better

brimfull Fri 18-Sep-09 16:00:09

excarebates-lol I tried ?

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 18-Sep-09 16:09:09

Message withdrawn

colditz Fri 18-Sep-09 16:10:34

I dropped a lot of the dairy from ds1's diet, and his eczema improved dramatically. i don't care what doctors think, I've seen it with my own eyes!

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 18-Sep-09 16:16:08

Message withdrawn

purpleduck Fri 18-Sep-09 16:19:16

oh god don't feel stupid... I knew dairy could be a problem - my ds had excema (when he was exclusively breastfed). I cut out milk, etc, but still carried on eating a bit of cheese. This was enough to cause flare ups. When I look back at his baby pictures - with his poor sore little cheeks sad

I took him to a homeopath (yes yes I know many on here think its crap - i disagree), and that sorted him out - he still couldn't have loads, but it cleared up too quickly for it to be anything else.

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 18-Sep-09 16:21:25

Message withdrawn

nightcat Wed 23-Sep-09 21:58:24

It often makes me think why common sense is not offered in a drs surgery, in fact is positively discouraged (and how many industries benefit in the process!).
My ds had 3 years of unsolvable constipation, which just went away as soon as I ditched dairy. Then it took me 10 years to work out he was gluten-sensitive.. but that's another story altogether.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

girlsyearapart Wed 23-Sep-09 22:05:12

Was only after we went to the dietitian that I realised her diet was making her so bad!
Off dairy amongst other things and sooo much better.
Only pissed off that I didn't get her on special diet sooner. IME GPs don't know much about severe excema and should refer asap to dietitians.
Any future dcs will be referred the second they start to show any signs of excema.
So glad your ds is better!

Conundrumish Wed 23-Sep-09 22:37:07

My experience is that Drs often poo-poo allergy theories that parents present! My son had allergies to eggs, fish, nuts & seeds, citrus fruits, strawberries, tomatoes. All these brought his skin up very badly but the Drs didn't really seem to believe me.

I don't want to be a party pooper but I would google the effects of soya milk long term though as when I was considering it as an option, it was found to cause problems particularly in boys (hormonally), so you may wish to change to goat's milk/rice milk etc.

Well done, you must be so pleased grin. It is horrible watching them scratching until they bleed.

Squidmission Wed 23-Sep-09 22:37:32

I went to see the drs several times with no joy about ds2's eczema. It was only when I read here about the link between eczema and dairy that I decided to exclude it and the eczema cleared up immediately.

Ds2 is fine with goats milk, cheese and yoghurts (he just prefers not to have them but I try to sneak it in somehow). I don't know if anyone else has tried that.

babybarrister Thu 24-Sep-09 14:29:11

feel so, so sorry for you and your DC having to suffer for so long sad - mine was the same - bleeding head etc - but thanks to great dermatologist she knew [before DS actually tested] that he was likely to be allergic to milk as I had been suggesting

DS therefore taken off all dairy [cow and goat and anything else] at 3 months and tested by hospital at 4 months and surprise, surprise allergic [in fact anaphylactic] to all dairy

it makes me so angry that parents and children sent round the houses with this

my dermatologist told me in terms that "on the continent" babies with excema are not sent to dermatologists first, but allergists, because they all know perfectly well that at that age the vast majority of skin problems are diet related

Squidmission Thu 24-Sep-09 17:14:18

More worryingly, I've heard that drs should advise you to delay vaccinations by a few months if your baby has eczema from birth as its a sign of an immature immune system. This could prevent the baby from developing further allergies.
Apparently, it used to be the case but they don't anymore.

It makes me really angry that some simple things could be done to help all these children with eczema and allergies but it comes down to the parents to have to research it for themselves and then its a fight to get anywhere.

gnomester Mon 12-Oct-09 15:39:16

Had a similar experience with my daughter - she developed eczema around the time I started her on formula (around 5 months). Doctors completely dismissed a possible link to cow's milk.

Signed her up to a peanut study at St Thomas's partly so that we could get her tested for common allergens. Tested negative to milk so forgot about it esp. cos experts at St T's also said milk wasn't a factor.

Then eventually talked to naturopath who suggested exclusion diet - lo and behold milk was the key! Once we found replacement (went through soya - worse, rice - now not supposed to give to kids because of arsenic, oat - got gluten in it, quinoa - disgusting, now finally at almond)eczema improved massively. Thanks doctors!

However, one tip to pass on. Dieticians at St Thomas's said DO NOT cut out milk entirely from diet, as this will cause much more severe intolerance in the long run. So we give her a bit in some form or other every day.

anothercoldcupoftea Tue 13-Oct-09 12:21:21

Another one here! DD1 had awful eczema from a few weeks old, then was obviously allergic to dairy when tried it at 6 months, carried on BF her until 12 months (when the referral to the paed. came through) as GP said no way the dairy could get through to her in my BM. After we saw the paed. (where, incidentally, she tested so allergic to dairy and eggs we now have an epipen), she went onto nutramigen, and within a couple of weeks, eczema mostly gone. Why did I listen to the GP when my common sense was telling me to give up dairy myself? angry

With DD2, was getting more and more colicky from birth. I gave up dairy myself at about 4 weeks old, and from the very next day - different baby. (which means she might be allergic as well sad)

Bit worrying about the vaccinations Squid - DD1 has all sorts of allergies and related conditions now. Hmmmmmmm

neversaydie Tue 13-Oct-09 18:25:36

I must admit I have always wondered just how much early vaccination exacerbates allergies generally. I was vaccinated for a whole lot of things at birth (born in the tropics) and my allergies were awful as a child.

My ds has eczema, which was exacerbated by oranges, although it was never really bad. It cleared up as if by magic after his first swim in the sea, aged 7. He now has sea salt baths and it has pretty much vanished.

On the subject of light-bulb moments, it took me 5 whole years to work out why every time ds ran a high temperature he came out in a rash. It was the Calpol - presumably the strawberry flavouring. I did feel an idiot when it finally dawned on me!

suiledonne Sat 17-Oct-09 20:20:43

Very interesting reading. My dd1 has asthma and eczema. We have been repeatedly told by doctors (paed. consultant and immunology consultant) not to take her off dairy as it probably would not help.

This summer she had RAST tests done that should mild dairy allergy and the paed. still says not to take dairy out of her diet.

Her skin and her asthma have been bad for the last few months.

I am starting to think I should reduce a lot of her dairy intake. She doesn't eat cheese or a lot of yogurt but she does love her milk.

Which replacement tastes most like cow's milk? How long would it take to see results?

FlightAttendant Sat 17-Oct-09 20:27:19

My sister had bad eczema throughout her childhood and when she stopped having cow's milk it got way better.

Sadly only discovered this in her teens. She had goats at first then soya...goats was fine too.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Sat 17-Oct-09 20:56:50

I think the reason GPs are anti- the exclusion of a food type is that they think we're generally too stupid to leave off the offending food without our nutrition suffering.

They, perhaps reasonably, don't give us credit for having the nowse to do our research and manage things successfully - and they still consider nutritional therapy as a bit alternative.

I would also urge caution re. the soya though.

onemoretimetoday Sat 17-Oct-09 21:02:07

Same here but luckily a wonderful paediatrician immediately suggested taking DS off formula milk and going onto nutramigen and keep him dairy free until 18 months and his skin cleared up within 3 days. Fortunately when BF DD showed the same signs I took dairy out of my diet and she also cleared up immediately.

babulka Sun 18-Oct-09 01:07:56

my 4 month old girl has eczema since she was born. I was told by the docs they are heat spots and milk spots and will go. She has now clear eczema on her face which finally they diagnosed too..I did my own research as docs failded many times, so I lost trust in their experteese. I had her allergy tested, came out positive on orange juice and cows milk...I was drinking freshly sqeesed orange juice every morning during my pregnancy.....What an idiot! HOw would I know?

Too late now, demage is done...But we are on strickt diet now and chaange milk for goats milk formula, Nanny.

Her eczema clearde up a bit but her poo became dry dark green....What does it mean? any idea??

AbricotsSecs Sun 18-Oct-09 02:16:10

Message withdrawn

AbricotsSecs Sun 18-Oct-09 02:22:20

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now