Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

breastfeeding and hayfeever tablets

(13 Posts)
jojo76 Fri 03-Jun-05 10:04:41

Hi! anyone know if there is anything the doc can give me for hayfever while breastfeeding? Has anyone on here found any natural remedies that help with hayfever?
My eleven week old seems quite sneezy and im worried that he has inherited my hayfever, does anyone know if allergies like this can be present at this age?
thanks!

Hausfrau Fri 03-Jun-05 10:12:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bobbybob Fri 03-Jun-05 10:16:26

I think a lot of 11 week olds are sneezy, and I think they have to live through one summer before they get hayfever.

lunachic Fri 03-Jun-05 10:26:41

try this site
homeopathic remedies can work amazingly well as long as you get the right one for your symptoms-safe for babies too

LeahE Fri 03-Jun-05 11:16:25

You can take the eyedrops (Opticrom and similar) and nasal sprays (Beconase and similar) which can help suppress the symptoms.

tamula Fri 03-Jun-05 11:21:02

I have the same prob, my 8 week old has always been a tad sneezy but not sure why exactly.

I was born with asthma but just started getting summer allergy symptoms, I have found that homeopathic stuff work quite well and can be used whilst breastfeeding.

Holland & Barratt stock a variety of remedies and Boots stock Nelsons and their own brand (cheaper) as well as others. I use Boots own brand Gelsemium 6c and i bought but havent yet tried Nelsons 'pollenna'.

Good luck

tamula Fri 03-Jun-05 11:24:27

Also i think allergies can be present at any age, thing is i dont think they taste babies until a certain age, not sure what that age is but 11 weeks may be too young to check, it may be a year, when they are old enough to try a variety of foods and stuff??!!

I guess you could observe him, maybe keep a chart of when he seems more sneezy, to suss out if any one thing triggers him off?

lunachic Fri 03-Jun-05 11:53:17

could also be allergy to house dust its very common and often linked to hayfever -doesnt mean your house is unclean or dusty ! its usually from bedding -special allergy bedding and a good hoover (wth a hepa filter) helps

lunachic Fri 03-Jun-05 11:55:00

think babies sneeze a lot anyway so dont get too worried !

otto Fri 03-Jun-05 12:18:20

I use Flixonase nasal spray for rhinitis and hayfever and was told by the doctor it was ok to use it while breastfeeding. It's now available over the counter and works better than most tablets I've tried as it doesn't make you drowsy

lunachic Fri 03-Jun-05 13:06:14

flower rescue remedy is good for a hayfever attack and euphrasia(eyebright herb) can be made into a tea and is very soothing for itchy eyes.can also be taken as a homeopathic tablet(-allium cepa is also good for itchy eyes pulsatilla is one remedy for sneezes)
another alternative prevention of hayfever is to take a teaspoon of local honey everyday

theres also tissue salts but they didnt work well for me

hth jojo76 if your anything like me youll prob need a bit of everything (sprays drops tabs... !) to find some relief on a really bad day !

shrub Fri 03-Jun-05 13:35:05

i have had hayfever for 18 years and have tried the lot incuding homeopathy,triludan, flixonase, beconase, claratin,steriod injections.acupuncture(did work but expensive to keep up) the only thing i have found that works and is safe for breastfeeding and pregnancy is 'LUFFA COMPLEX' |(tincture)by bioforce. its 100% natural. have you tried a 'neti'? its a little pot that you fill with cooled boiled water to wash the pollen out of your nose - also coat inside of nostrils with vasaline and use wet wipes to blow nose as fibres off tissue makes hayfever worse. not heard of hayfever in babies but try using water in a plant spray on a fine mist setting and lightly spray all around the room. good luckxx

jojo76 Fri 03-Jun-05 17:02:49

thanks so much everyone!! I will definitely give some of the homeopathic remedies a try, and i have never tried flixonase so thats worth a try too. I did not know that about tissues making hayfever worse!!! I will definitely use wetwipes instead. I think observing the little one is a good idea, im reassured that everyone elses babies are sneezy, its probably just normal baby sneezes, so i will try not to get neurotic about it LOL!
thanks again everyone, youre all fab!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now