Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you have a definate intolerance to shellfish, can you develop an intolerance to other fish too?

(5 Posts)
IlanaK Wed 09-Sep-09 18:28:22

I developed an intolerance to shellfish years ago (which is a huge shame as I love it). I think it might have been triggered by a lobster food poisoning incident at my sister's wedding (what a nightmare that was!), but it might just be part of a general trend I have noticed that as I get older, I seem to develop more intolerances. I was still able to eat other fish (salmon, white fish, tuna).

Last night we had fish for the first time in a long time (my husband doesn't like fish so we rarely eat it). It was plaice. Today I have had very bad diarreah of the type where you can see last night's dinner pass through you totally undigested. This is what happens if I eat shellfish. Now, the rest of the family (including my 1 year old) are all fine and the fish was bought from a reputable place so I know there was nothing wrong with it.

What I am left wondering is if I have now developed an intolerance to fish of all kinds? (though I eat tuna fish - canned - regularly with no problem)

Any ideas?

IlanaK Wed 09-Sep-09 20:37:56

bump

alypaly Wed 09-Sep-09 23:13:08

sometimes it is only the fish with shells. Did you have an allergy or anaphalactic shock

IlanaK Thu 10-Sep-09 20:12:25

Not an allergy as such - an intolerance I think. Terrible upset stomach - literally purging the whole meal from my system undigested.

alypaly Thu 10-Sep-09 23:10:47

its worth trying other fish as u are probably ok. Normally if its shell fish ,it is literally those with shells and i have known people eat ordinary fish. try some fresh tuna..but try a little bit and keep and open mind so it doesnt affect you psychologically

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now