Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Singulair Paediatric and Nasonex Spray

(7 Posts)
MetalMummy Sat 29-Aug-09 22:46:50

Hi, I was wondering if anyone's DC has had any problems when using these. My DS(6yrs) has asthma, eczema, and multiple allergies. In March he was also diagnosed with chronic rhinitis so the consultant prescribed Singulair Paediatric at bedtime, one spray in each nostril of Nasonex at bedtime and in the morning, and cetirizine hydrochloride in the morning. He also has 2 puffs twice a day of his inhaler
(clenil modulite) and salbutamol when needed. He has always been quite a skinny child but since March he has put over 4KG on, I've read the contraindications for both the Singulair and the nasonex and none of them mention weight gain, but the nasonex does say that longterm use can affect a childs growth. The consultant doesn't want to see DS for 2 years and has put his meds on repeat prescription, but I am concerned about this weight gain. Do you think I should contact the consultant or my GP about it or should I leave it and see how he goes on?

MetalMummy Sun 30-Aug-09 13:10:05

bump

bobs Sun 30-Aug-09 13:33:40

Sorry - can't help much except to say I've been using Nasonex for sinusitis - headaches etc - on and off for 5-6 yrs and no weight issues. I think this medication just helps the problem but doesn't cure it which is why it might probably be one you have to take for the long-term, which is why I use it only when needed.
All I can say is 2yrs is probably not counted as that long term, so mention any concerns at the next meeting.
Otherwise see yr doctor - it might just be a growth spurt - kids do a lot of that sort of thing at that age!

MetalMummy Sun 30-Aug-09 13:44:47

I don't think it's just a growth spurt, you can see that he has put weight on, he's getting really chunky. He is very active (never sits still) and his diet hasn't changed which is why I can't understand why he's put so much weight on.

PixieOnaLeaf Sun 30-Aug-09 15:47:22

Message withdrawn

Weta Mon 31-Aug-09 08:25:13

I would definitely talk to the consultanat about it (being the person who actually prescribed it) if you have any concerns, at least to set your mind at rest. I think 2 years is a very long time in a child's life, and as a parent you have a right to the information you need. Could you start by talking to him on the phone?

DS1 (age 6) has previously had Nasonex one week in two through the winter and is still as skinny as a rake.

DH has put on weight recently and I know he thinks it may be one of his meds (can't remember details, though I'll ask - I know he has Singulair and Seretide).

alypaly Wed 09-Sep-09 23:21:26

if you look at the patient info on nasal steroids,it effects height more than weight and is likely to slow the height growth down but not at a low dosage, but it still should be monitored.He might just be going through the usual growth spurts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now