Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you are wheat intolerant and eat something containing wheat, how long does it take to feel an effect?

(23 Posts)
PrincessToadstool Sat 29-Aug-09 18:17:26

I don't know if I am wheat intolerant but have felt ropey lately and noticed it more after, say, a pasta based dinner than a rice based one. So I am on day 2 of a wheat-free diet to see if I feel better. So far, yes I do! Much better. No bloating and cramp. I even think I slept better but that could be because of the weekend.

But I have just foolishly eaten a yorkshire pudding. If this bothers me when can I expect to notice it?

I am a bit annoyed with myself as I was eating a lot of bread so even 2 days felt like discipline, silly silly me.

twopeople Sat 29-Aug-09 18:19:27

Message withdrawn

PrincessToadstool Sat 29-Aug-09 18:21:40

Thanks twopeople, that sounds awful for you. Does the amount you would eat have an impact, or is a small amount just as bad as a lot?

twopeople Sat 29-Aug-09 18:24:49

Message withdrawn

PrincessToadstool Sat 29-Aug-09 18:43:29

Thanks again. I know this isn't definitive and I'll keep up the wheat-free food even if I feel fine, I wonder if as I'm only on day 2 my body won't have adjusted? So some of how I feel may improve without me noticing - e.g. I read that wheat can cause dark circles under the eyes, backache etc. Things I'd never link up.

I have spent most of days 1&2 trying to find out what chocolate bars I can eat blush

twopeople Sat 29-Aug-09 19:05:10

Message withdrawn

tatt Sun 30-Aug-09 08:45:09

Really is better to go back to eating wheat and have a coeliac blood test now.

Once you are on an elimination diet you may feel so much better you will not want the tests. I can tell within hours if I have a trace of gluten because I feel tired and depressed. If I am unexpectedly sleepy I check the ingredients list more carefully.

If I take digestive enzymes it takes much longer to notice an impact. With Biocare Glutenzyme Plus (one per gluten containing meal) I survived a couple of weeks before feeling bad again. With Peptizyde I haven't discovered how long it takes because I forgot to take them and was ill so went gluten free to recover.

You may need to be gluten free rather than wheat free but you could also consider enzyme supplementation as an alternative to deit - but you should have the blood test first. You have to be eating wheat before the blood test.

PrincessToadstool Sun 30-Aug-09 10:11:38

After reading that GPs were sometimes reluctant to where symptoms were not that severe I just thought I'd do it on my own - what would a test tell me? I mean, if cutting out wheat = feeling better do I need to know anything else? I am not trying to be awkward

I felt crap last night after yorkshire puddings. Cramp, felt like I would have diarrhea. I do feel better today, though.

sadjack Sun 30-Aug-09 10:52:47

I would suggest that you pester your GP for the test for IgA which is for coeliac disease even if to just rule it out but before any test you need to eat gluten containing foods, yes you will be ill but if your test is positive you will have your answer and as the complaint is genetic which can be passed on it is in your family interested to get tested. The diet and life style are not that bad and can be catered for providing you read labels and follow good hygiene (cross contamination).

PrincessToadstool Sun 30-Aug-09 17:40:01

Thanks sadjack... as you all seem quite knowledgeable what do you make of this? Ate 2x yorkies last night, felt crap, really awful painful wind. But fine this morning.

Then (hmm not good at this am I hmm) ate about 1/4 of DS's tuna sandwich as left my food in the car while out and was just so hungry. But feeling okay, waited for the cramp to kick in but I've been fine. Not planning to eat anymore but maybe my problem is something else? It was wholemeal bread if that makes a difference.

PrincessToadstool Mon 31-Aug-09 09:58:08

Bump

twopeople Mon 31-Aug-09 18:26:47

Message withdrawn

twopeople Mon 31-Aug-09 18:30:43

Message withdrawn

PrincessToadstool Mon 31-Aug-09 18:48:57

I will do, I will phone the docs in the morning as DS is at nursery. Perhaps I was just eating too much wheat and that was making me feel ill? Well I will see what the doc says

ABetaDad Mon 31-Aug-09 18:53:15

I am on a Glutn Free and Lactose Free diet.

If I eat bread - I would give it 6 hours max before it hits. Poor sleeping and lousy feeling for 2 days. Similar with any milk product that is not lactose free.

PrincessToadstool Mon 31-Aug-09 18:56:31

Wow ABD, quite a price to pay then. So if I was intolerant I'd probably have felt crap after the sandwich, but I do feel better, surely it's not just psychological. Definitely more energy.

I am hungry though.

PrincessToadstool Mon 31-Aug-09 19:49:08

Oh god sorry to go on about this.

Hungry hungry. So DP suggested making some tuna pasta and I sooooo would love some. I bought some Doves Farm wheat-free pasta but I don't want it because I don't know what it tastes like blah blah blah

But I don't want to eat normal pasta in case I have a tummy ache.

Anyway he is cooking the Doves Farm stuff - but this makes me question again what the benefit of testing is? I was saying to myself, eat the wheat pasta because you may well have to if you get tested - and at the same time saying to myself don't eat the pasta because you will feel crap.

This is day four and bar a bit of cramp on Saturday I don't remember when I last felt this well.

So can I ask more questions? If my GP agrees to a test (and will he??) what kind of wait is involved - will I have to go to the hospital for blood to be taken? What kind of wait is involved? Sorry, I feel trivial when this forum is full of far more serious problems and I just have a tummy ache but it is all bothering me. I have really struggled to lose weight since DS was born and now I wonder could this be why? I am leaving my very sedentry job this week and hoped being more active will help as I am not in complete denial but I have been reading about wheat and water retention, my tummy can look about 6 months pregnant at times but even in 4 days it seems less bulgy.

ABetaDad Mon 31-Aug-09 19:53:31

Interesting you mention eating a lot of bread. That is what I used to do. Like a sort of addiction really. Got real withdrawal symptoms for the frst two weeks. However, I did replace normal bread with GF bread. Found I did not really need bread tough after a while. I eat 2 small slices of GF bread or muffins a day plu a few GF biscuits and a small bit of GF cake or. I do not need more. Before I used to eat 1/3 of a loaf a day and quite a few biscuits and cake. Lost loads of weight and feel fab after I stopped eating normal bread/bicuit/cakes.

I am not starvng myself though. Give it a try. smile

PrincessToadstool Mon 31-Aug-09 20:01:02

Yes, I think I was addicted, I even think I am craving it because I could eat a lot of it. But I would go through cycles with it, sometimes wanting just white and others eating soda bread or wholemeal. Oh, damn bread, with it's wide bloody variety and choice

I was going to order some GF bread etc when I next shop online, horrified by the prices though - £2.18 for 2 bagels! I think I am just hungry as I've not been replacing the times when I'd eat bread/crackers with anything, well except rice cakes which are just like air, but I have got a fridge full of homemade soup to eat, rice noodles to put in it, popcorn for a snack, rice krispies or corn flakes for breakfasts, and a load of fruit... I should not complain blush

ABetaDad Mon 31-Aug-09 20:11:06

Try the Sainsbury Free From range or Tesco do a great GF bread that other MNetters swear by. I also get a nice variety of Crimbles range of cakes from Holland & Barret. I still have a sweet tooth but do not crave bread/biscuits/cake anymore.

Now I know it works and I feel really well I have got a bread maker and am doing baking with GF flour. To be honest I eat so much less it is cheaper!

One other thing. I eat almost nothing after lunchtime. I have a big normal lunch and then just fruit, nuts, maybe GF crackers, a little coooked meat or maybe GF cereal. Tonight I will eat nothing. Just not hungry.

PrincessToadstool Mon 31-Aug-09 20:18:06

Thanks, I will have a look at Sainsbury's. I have always tended to eat more in the mornings, maybe since the day starts a lot earlier with DS hmm so it will be interesting to see how my appetite and tastes change.

Anyway the GF pasta was a hit

merryberry Mon 31-Aug-09 20:52:21

i feel it a few hours after as malaise and sometimes nausea. effects peak 2 mornings after, usually get the trots, lovely

tatt Mon 31-Aug-09 22:37:39

If you can eat wholemeal bread without feeling bad your problem is unlikely to be wheat/gluten. However it could be a yeast problem, too much fat (all that chocolate?) or some of the additives that are in certain types of bread. There was an interesting article posted on mumsnet about that, sorry I didn't keep a copy, think the thread title was something like if you think you have a problem with wheat. Could also be a problem with regulating blood sugar.

You can get a simple blood test from your gp but it will not work unless you are eating gluten regularly before the test. Hence the recommendation that you are tested first.

Once you have a test result you can, if it is negative, experiment with things like avoiding wheat but trying rye (you can but rye bread in some bakeries and Mrs Crimble do rye cakes, look in health food stores). If it is positive you buy doves bread flour and a breadmaker. You can fill up with things like ice-cream and pancakes make with buckwheat flour, potaoes and rice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now