Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can a persistent cough mean hayfever or allergy?

(6 Posts)
Earlybird Tue 31-May-05 08:28:02

Poor dd developed a chesty/phlegmy cough about 2 weeks ago. She doesn't have a cold, and her eyes don't itch. She simply has periodic coughing fits.

I've been dosing her with Tixylix, but it doesn't seem to do much. Could this be hayfever or an allergy to something else? It's now gone on so long without getting worse or better, that I'm wondering if a visit to the doctor is in order. Before I do that though, wondered if the wise mumsnetters might have opinions or suggestions....thx in advance....

Toothache Tue 31-May-05 08:40:01

Earlybird - My brother has had this for a while. He went to the GP who diagnosed the symptoms as mildly asthmatic. He was given a Salbutamol inhaler. It can be a sign of an allergy as it's a constant build up of mucus irritating her throat. I get a really tickly dry throat with my Hay Fever (not phlegmy though).

How old is she?

It could equally just be a virus that is dragging on a bit.

Toothache Tue 31-May-05 08:41:09

Incidentally I just want to let you know that my Brother has never really used the inhaler and he's had it now for a couple of years.... I don't want you to panic that your dd is asthmatic!

TracyK Tue 31-May-05 08:41:48

ds has had a cough on and off since Xmas really. I think he prob picks it up from nursery. Does your dd go to nursery?

Earlybird Tue 31-May-05 08:51:24

DD is 4 and goes to nursery. There has been a tummy bug making the rounds there (which thankfully we've avoided), but others don't seem to have this cough. It's a bit of a mystery as it seems to have come out of nowhere and isn't clearing up.

Mosschops30 Tue 31-May-05 09:49:16

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now