Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

pale poo, wind & tantrums!!!

(11 Posts)
yarrow5 Sat 22-Aug-09 17:52:06

Sorry if this is tmi but i'm slowly going mad. for the last few weeks ds 1yr has suddenly developed the most awful tantrums. I did initially just think he was being a monkey but now i'm not so sure. He's also developed really pale poo & awful wind. every time he has a tantrum, its followed by wind that would make a man proud! He was always a good eater but now hardly eats anything and it seems to get worse as the day goes on.
Is this just normal 1 year old behaviour or could it be something else??

WobblyPig Sat 22-Aug-09 22:58:42

Is the poo frothy and white/chalky? Is the urine a normal colour? Is he a normal colour?

Have you recently introduced cow's milk after breast feeding?

yarrow5 Sun 23-Aug-09 07:46:50

no, its not frothy and white/chalky, just like paste & a beige clour. urine is normal & so is his colour!

i introduced cows milk a couple of weeks ago but he was ff and has had cows milk on his cereal for longer than that.

tatt Sun 23-Aug-09 09:26:18

when did you introduce wheat? Has he had any sort of illness recently that could have upset the balance of bacteria in his gut? Trying him with live yoghurt or a probiotic supplement is unlikely to do any harm and may help.

jellyjelly Wed 26-Aug-09 15:42:16

I remember reading about pale poos being the sign of something but cant remember what. I would suggest a visit to the doctors.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 26-Aug-09 15:45:48

putty coloured poo's can be a sign of a liver problem. I suggest you speak to your GP.

tatt Wed 26-Aug-09 15:52:20

if it was a liver problem he would probably look yellow, a problem with wheat can also cause pale stools.

stleger Wed 26-Aug-09 16:25:36

Has he had a lot of melon? DD1's poo went white after a melon feast.

LadyG Wed 26-Aug-09 21:34:12

Ours had pale poo and turned out to have coeliac disease (allergy to wheat/gluten) so I would definitely see your GP and ask for a paediatrician referral if it persists.

PeedOffWithNits Tue 01-Sep-09 13:38:49

I went to GP when DD was almost 2 and producing lots of very pale yellowy soft poo so that every nappy leaked. she was also a very bad sleeper

he felt her belly and said all was well, she just had an upset tummy

things did not really improve, though in other ways DD seemed fine, we accepted the poo as "normal for her"

finally at age 5 she was diagnosed with coeliac after the HV expressed concern over her height (on 0.5th centile!)and ordered blood tests - she was by then incredibly anaemic to the point of needing to have a transfusion AND 3 months of iron before they would do a biopsy, incase they nicked her gut and caused a bleed

So I was right 3 years earlier that all was not well

be prepared to be treated as a fusspot, but remember, YOU know your child best

also consider whether any family members might be coelias but not diagnosed. My MIL had been told for 30 years she "just" had IBS but now we know the truth! Also HER father had "tummy troubles" that were never really discussed but he died of bowel coancer so may well have been coeliac

sadjack Wed 02-Sep-09 06:54:21

Take to the GP the symptoms are similar to either coeliac disease and the temper could be a reaction to wheat

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now