Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I am interested - has anyone tried hair testing for allergies?

(8 Posts)
StirlingTheTired Tue 18-Aug-09 22:54:57

Has anyone been to somewhere like this and been able to "cure" allergies etc?

We live close to this place and, after years of people telling us to try it (our youngest dd is allergic to eggs, dairy, nuts, peanuts, sesame, lentils) we gave it a go.

Well, I am now feeling like I have been done as I paid £120 and received a few vitamin and evening primrose tabs which apparently will cure all!!

I also feel like going back to speak to them because DD has been hyper since we started her on the tablets and she has just started school - I am afraid it will affect how she concentrates etc.

If anyone has any experience of this I would be interested.

bridewolf Thu 20-Aug-09 12:37:48

total con for allergies. sorry .

Nighbynight Thu 20-Aug-09 13:09:03

It doesn't look very credible to me, sorry. Hope your dd grows out of her allergies. I know that people have been successfully de-sensitised to allergens through small amounts of exposure, but this is different.

trellism Thu 20-Aug-09 13:13:41

It's a total con I'm afraid. Don't feel bad though, you wanted to do the best for your DCs, and that's what these people exploit.

trellism Thu 20-Aug-09 13:18:31

Ahh,

http://www.which.co.uk/advice/the-truth-about-allergy-tests/vega-testing/index.jsp

StirlingTheTired Thu 20-Aug-09 23:45:18

Thanks smile

I feel silly because I have put off going here for so long, even though we live very close. But so many people have said they have been, or know someone who has been so we thought it would be wrong not to try.

That article trellism is very interesting. Funnily enough, the woman said my dd was allergic to different foods than she is actually allergic to - well she said they were intollerances but I am afraid I know the difference and she def has allergies.

I know she will grow out of her allergies (or at least some of them). I wish we had never been now!

trellism Fri 21-Aug-09 15:54:51

I once saw a chap who dangled a pendulum over me and claimed to be able to diagnose allergies that way.

I said I'd be interested to know if he could correctly diagnose my real allergies.

He could not.

tatt Fri 21-Aug-09 17:33:19

many people think they are allergic to foods when they aren't. Some people have food intolerances. If you tell most people they will feel better excluding wheat and/or dairy then some of those who try it will feel better and will tell everyone they meet. The ones who feel they were conned are less likely to tell their friends.

One of my childrens friends was told she was allergic to potato. A few weeks on she found avoiding potato too hard but was told she was "cured". She no longer avoids potato. I am not allowed to mention this now after saying I thought the person concerned was a quack.

Lots of money to be made misdiagnosing people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now