Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eczema - quick straw poll

(24 Posts)
oysterpots Tue 18-Aug-09 08:36:15

What washing powder do you use if your child has eczema?

DS has mild eczema and I alternate between Ecover and Boots Sensitive, but I've heard good things about Fairy.

What would you recommend?

EldonAve Tue 18-Aug-09 08:39:57

Surcare

Also now using Waitrose sensitive which appears to be made by surcare (saw it suggested on another thread)

Thenozone Tue 18-Aug-09 08:48:32

i use bold 2 in 1 - it doesnt make it any worse.

MaybeAfterBreakfast Tue 18-Aug-09 08:54:43

Waitrose non-bio

lankyesme Tue 18-Aug-09 08:58:31

Waitrose non bio or co-op non bio

MrsWeasley Tue 18-Aug-09 09:03:00

Own brand non bio

JodieO Tue 18-Aug-09 09:15:53

Fairy and my ds2 has it really badly. Under control with Aveeno now but used to bleed and was covered in it. Fairy has been perfect.

abra1d Tue 18-Aug-09 09:20:20

I think the jury is out on whether bio makes eczema any worse. On the Continent there is no 'belief' in bio powders affecting eczema flare-ups. My children's skin is no better or worse since we switched.

oysterpots Tue 18-Aug-09 09:33:19

That's interesting, abra1d.

Do you use Fairy non-bio JodieO? My DS has Aveeno too...

MyMamaToldMe Tue 18-Aug-09 09:37:56

Fairy non bio gel here. Do you all use powder?

Does anyone use softner?

Macdog Tue 18-Aug-09 09:41:31

I always used Tesco non-bio, until about a year ago when I tried Bold 3-in-1.

I have had excema since I was a baby and always thought that a bio would cause a huge flare up, however this has not been the case.

oysterpots Tue 18-Aug-09 09:43:44

I use powder but have heard it messes up machines way more than liquid (as well as skin, possibly!). So I might switch.

I use softener - Ecover for me and DH, Surcare for DS

Aniyan Tue 18-Aug-09 10:00:49

We use Surcare liquid and Fairy softener, after years of experimentation.

DS seems to be growing out of his eczema-type allergies now (he's nearly 10), but I'm not risking changing my washing liquid until I absolutely have to!

foreverchanges Tue 18-Aug-09 10:13:17

surcare

PiggyPenguin Tue 18-Aug-09 10:18:26

Fairy sensitive. Ds1 has fairly bad eczema and is fine with this

JodieO Tue 18-Aug-09 12:08:12

Yes fairy non bio, the normal one, that you put in the ball. Also use fairy fabric softner, any scent one has been fine.

EldonAve Tue 18-Aug-09 15:09:39

do they do bio powders without perfume?

helpivegottogivebirth Fri 21-Aug-09 18:48:02

My baby has very sensitive skin so thinking of switching to Surcare. Never seen it in the shops because I have never properly looked for it. Do Tescos/Sainsbury's stock it?

itchybaby Sat 22-Aug-09 10:02:26

We tryed Fairy and Ecover but both made ds worse.

Turns out he's sensative to all detergents in everything and we wash laundry in Soap Flakes.

I've herd Surecare is good, but I've not used it. I know few people who've had problems with Fairy.

MummieGee Thu 27-Aug-09 18:27:42

I use Surcare because of my skin problems. Found it's not so much the enzymes as the perfume/scent that sets my skin off. When I lived abroad, a few of the 'sensitive' liquids and powders had a scent which caused problems.

SansSerif Thu 27-Aug-09 18:33:38

We use lidl or tesco non bio powder and tesco value softener. We did use surcare for a while but now that ds1's ezcema is a lot milder we were able to switch without making it worse.

Recently had some waitrose softener and ds1 had a terrible flare-up.

Sheilsie Fri 28-Aug-09 01:13:37

We used Ecover, until the dermatologist told us to move to Surcare (as Ecover is fragranced with lavender apparently).

OrangeFish Fri 28-Aug-09 01:39:02

Fairy non bio. When trying to find out which one to use, I heard a lot of comments about Ecover making eczema worse. But as I said, that was years ago.

zazen Fri 28-Aug-09 01:46:28

We use woolite liquid for machine washes. It has silk proteins.
Seems to have no effect though - I used to use persil non bio, and have used ecover (not a very clean wash after that) and have used Vanish on towels and bed linen at 60.

The thing is we live in a soft water area, so I only use one quarter of the recommended amount of detergent. The wash comes out clean and the clothes are rinsed out with no perfume remaining.
And THAT seems to work, no matter what we use in the wash.
HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now