Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

face rash on 11mo - xpost in health

(7 Posts)
ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 17-Aug-09 10:08:47

Hi,
11mo DS has had nasty red patches on either side of his mouth for several weeks now. He also has a small red patch on his chin on one side, as well as spotty rash under his chin.
Double chin rash is just from dribbling I'm sure, and face rash could be from bottle/dummy+ dribble, but it's weird because it comes and goes randomly. It never actually goes but gets angrier sometimes and seems to spread all round his lips very quickly. This happened last night straight after dinner which is why I am wondering about intolerances - he ate couscous with courgette and tomato.

I've tried anti-b cream from the GP, sudocrem, vaseline and am starting to try vitamin e oil but nothing has made it go away.

I had similar when I was a young teen and it hung around for months. Just red angry skin around my mouth - not sore or itchy or flaky, just red. Could it be eczema? It doesn't look like eczema as I know it

belgo Mon 17-Aug-09 10:13:09

My ds has something similar, he sleeps on his front so that exacerbates it. Have you tried Aveeno cream? That is very good, and very natural.

My ds also has some mild allergies, and that makes it worse, but he also gets a rash on other parts of his body when his allergies play up - back of neck, scalp, and spots all over.

meep Mon 17-Aug-09 10:19:24

I woudl second Aveeno. I went through this with dd1 - the spotty chin is very likely to be a dribble rash - so lots of moisturiser all the time!

Tomato can also cause this - I used to get a rash round my mouth as a child after eating fresh tomatoes. I don't any more- but my lips still tingle. It is always worse if my skin is dry.

Keep moisturising - don't use baby wipes on his face, just water. It takes a while - but perseverance with moisturing will pay off in teh end (and keep it up even when the rash is gone!)

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 17-Aug-09 10:24:06

Ok! I hadn't thought of actually moisturising, I'll persevere with the vitamin e and buy a nice baby moisturiser like the one you suggest to slather on. I've been trying to keep it dry rather than moisturised, could that have been making it worse?

meep Mon 17-Aug-09 10:40:07

I know that dd's dribble rash responded best to being moisturised - it does take a while -but keeping it dry can make it more angry and itchy and maybe more prone to flaring up with foods like tomato?

Just my personal experience with my own skin and dd's skin.

Have put a pic on my profile of what dd1's rash looked like back in her dribble days - is that the sort of thing your ds has?

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 17-Aug-09 10:55:18

That's the sort of thing - it's in the corners of his mouth and on his chin a bit, as well as under it. It varies from looking like that to very bright red.

Thanks - seems I've been on the wrong tack!

meep Mon 17-Aug-09 11:00:20

dd1's got much worse after her bath or when she woke up from a nap and after food. It can get really bad if they are run down/have a cold. If they get a high temp it can flare up to the point that it looks like scabs. Just to warn you ( I freaked the first time I saw it like that)!

Hope you get it under control - it is horrible to see and I worried all the time about it. But she is fine now - only a few wee patches on her legs and arms now.

Thankfully my dd2 seems to have lovely skin.........so far!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now