Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Secondary Lactose Intolerance

(6 Posts)
Yarnie Sun 16-Aug-09 10:22:10

Hi all

My LO has, I believe, secondary lactose intolerance following a gastro bug. 16 days on, we're still getting 5+ dirty nappies a day. He is 100% BF.

Has anyone experience of this? Did it clear up on its own, or did you intervene?

At the moment, I am concentrating on not overloading him with lactose, by making sure he finishes the boob before offering him no. 2.

If anyone has any tips, I would be very grateful!

Thank you.

Yarnie Sun 16-Aug-09 10:22:39

I forgot to say, he is 5 months old.

foreverchanges Sun 16-Aug-09 10:33:57

hello yarnie imy experience is not quite the same ,my ds was ebf till one year ,after weaning(at 6 months) i introduced milk products at about 7/8 months and he got a rash on his face

i then left it another 6 months and slowly introduced products with dairy and he was fine with them and still is

try cuting the dairy from your diet (think a small amount of butter and maybe yoghurt is ok) then reintroduce back slowly maybe after you have started weaning and his stomach is more developed

good luck xx

foreverchanges Sun 16-Aug-09 10:39:54

what makes you think it is lactose intolerance though? maybe is tummy bug hasnt cleared up properly

ive had tummy bugs for a month before now

another thing is to try taking probiotics like acidophillus(non dairy) in capsules (look on holland and barrat site)

not sure if these are passed through b milk (dont think anyone really knows this) but theyre worth a try as they work wonders for poorly tummies

foreverchanges Sun 16-Aug-09 10:44:29

non dairy acidophilus food suppliment

Yarnie Sun 16-Aug-09 15:44:17

foreverchanges Thanks for the suggestions. Might give the capsules a go and will persist with no dairy for me.

Doctor thinks it's highly unlikely to still be a bug and believes it is secondary lactose intolerance. LO is very well in himself and does not seem ill at all, apart from the nappy problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now