Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I think I might have a problem with bread/wheat.

(40 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 15-Aug-09 15:11:47

How can I live without toast? sad

notwavingjustironing Sat 15-Aug-09 15:12:34

Genius gluten/wheat free bread. Totally gorgeous, outrageously overpriced, available in a Tesco near you.

notwavingjustironing Sat 15-Aug-09 15:13:35

BTW "Genius" is the name of the bread.

here

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 15-Aug-09 15:24:37

Thank you notwavingjustironing.

notwavingjustironing Sat 15-Aug-09 15:26:28

you are welcome

bluesnowfalcon Sat 15-Aug-09 15:35:16

I'm wheat intolerant too! Genius bread is the best wheat free bread that i've eaten but very light - might not feel full up after so eat cereal and toast or fruit to fill you up

ADifferentMe Sat 15-Aug-09 15:39:11

FBGIB (need to remove the Baker bit now) - what are your symptoms?

I've recently noticed I seem really bloated after one slice of bread. Makes my lunchtime sandwich very messy.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 15-Aug-09 15:45:18

I look pregnant, stomach pains and cramps quite soon after eating bread, loo visits. Since I stopped eating bread I have lost a couple of pounds, don't look so pregnant and noticed pain when I had some crackers (wheat)

I will still bake - it is the kids who eat it.

bluesnowfalcon Sat 15-Aug-09 15:56:24

Sound like the symptoms I had - also had headaches and low back aches as well. You need to watch as lots of products bought from shops have wheat in even if you don't think they should have - gravy mixes for example!

Might be worth getting a food test done - local healthfood shops usually do them about once a month

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 15-Aug-09 15:59:09

DH has told me to get a test done.

Every morning I wake up in agony - mostly back and sides - and DH had to get me out of bed yesterday. sad

bluesnowfalcon Sat 15-Aug-09 16:03:55

It is worth having the test done and then you will need to learn to read the labels on everything!

Wheat free - you also need to avoid monosodium glutamte, lots of flavourings in crisps, bread, cakes, biscuits, pasta, some soups, some baked beans, some yoghurts, lots of preprepared meals, sauces ...

Hope you feel better soon and please feel free to ask questions - i've been wheat free for 5 years roughly and feel so much better for it!

Good luck

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 15-Aug-09 16:11:52

I am thinking I might have to live on fruit and veg.

Do I have to go to the GP for a test or can I get an at home one?

tribpot Sat 15-Aug-09 16:19:06

No you don't have to live on fruit and veg, although it takes time to adapt, definitely!

You will get used to reading the labels on stuff, although labelling is much better than it used to be. Gluten free pasta is alright but has a tendency to dissolve into a mush if cooked for one second too long. Indian food tends to be gluten-free (other than the bready stuff obviously!) and in terms of burgers and sausages, Sainburys organic burgers are, as are some frozen ones. Sainsburys Taste the Difference pork and fresh herb are, as are the Toulouse and Sicilian (I can't get these as dh claims he can't tolerate garlic either hmm). Also the Black Farmer sausages and the Harrogate ones from the Debbie somebody range.

There is quite a lot of cooking from scratch, substituting corn flour for wheat flour, and eating out is a pain in the proverbial but can be done with planning (you will eat a lot of baked potatoes!).

Stock cubes were a particular problem when we lived in Sweden but here most seem wheat-free, I still buy the Kallo ones though.

notwavingjustironing Sat 15-Aug-09 16:20:58

If you seriously think you have a problem, don't mess about with the cranky "at home" tests you can do.

Your GP is the only person who can get you the tests required to see if you really need to change your diet severely and permanently. There's a big difference between an intolerance and an allergy.

(sorry that sounded incredibly preachy, wasn't meant to be)

notwavingjustironing Sat 15-Aug-09 16:22:20

tribpot - Debbie and Andrew of Harrogate sausages!

They do chipolate gluten free/wheat/dairy free sausages.

By far the best as you say.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 15-Aug-09 16:26:54

I cook from scratch 99% of the time anyway so that is no problem and I should eat more fruit and veg too. I used to have a jacket potato every day for lunch in the days when I only had one child and had time for lunch.

I have seen the GP so much lately and he hasn't mentioned wheat allergy. Just given me blood tests to see what is wrong with my bones and if I am anaemic and some tablets for stomach pain.

sadjack Sat 15-Aug-09 18:11:37

ave you mentioned this to your GP as it might be worth you being tested for Coeliac Disease. A simple blood test will give a positive or negative answer then you go from there. If the result is positive the next step will be an endoscopy with biopsies being taken, they are sent to the Lab to confirm or reject a CD diagnosis. Prior to the endoscopy you will be required to foods containing wheat and its derivatives.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 15-Aug-09 18:23:28

Oh heck. I am booked for a check up under GA already. Not sure I fancy anymore tests but it is getting me down. I can eat crumpets no problem,hmm.

tatt Sat 15-Aug-09 18:58:36

You have to make sure you are eating plenty of wheat before any tests are done or you may get false negatives.

Even if the test is negative quite a few people (including me) benefit from either avoiding gluten or adding digestive enzymes like Peptizyde. They are also useful for contamination worries when eating out. Invest in a breadmaker and make your own bread with Doves flour. There is a recipe on the packet. It's not like normal bread but it's not bad.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 15-Aug-09 19:17:25

I have a bread maker so that will be easy. Do you know where I can get Doves flour from please? I haven't seen it before.

tatt Sat 15-Aug-09 19:25:34

Sainsburys, Tescos, health food stores. May have to look in the free from area rather than with the other flour. It's a white bag and obviously you want the bread flour grin. Don't do it before the tests though.

bluesnowfalcon Sun 16-Aug-09 07:58:32

I had a GP test and showed negative Coeliac but had test done in health food store after and showed high level intolerance rate for wheat and other things. I have taken wheat out of my diet and am so much better than I was. I decided the proof was in the not eating for a while

Gp's don't hold all the answers in my opinion!

Next time you do your shopping have a look at the free from section in store so you can get a better idea of the sort of things that you can buy.

They are right in that if you are going to have the tests done you should continue to eat it until the day of the test otherwise it might not show up.

Good luck

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 16-Aug-09 11:01:22

I might go shopping later so thinking of going in Holland and Barrett to ask them. They were lovely when I was pregnant and in a right state.

spinspinsugar Sun 16-Aug-09 11:15:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

enprovence Sun 16-Aug-09 11:16:30

I too have noticed similar symptoms mentioned on this post. After eating bread especially I feel bloated and have an upset tummy. I prefer to eat rice or potatoes as a substitute but cannot give up pasta!

My son was diagnosed with a wheat and egg intolerance on friday (I posted a thread about it last week) and has been put on a strict non wheat, and egg diet.

he dietician told us to try Tesco as the have the best 'Free From' range, I think I will try giving up wheat for a while, as I have to change my DS's diet anyway so it is perfect opp for me to give it a go.

I am convinced the wheat, or gluten or both upset my digestion and give me cramps and bloating.

We will see what happens!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now