Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD seems to have a problem with banana, any ideas?

(15 Posts)
LoveBeingAMummy Thu 13-Aug-09 09:49:12

DD, 16mths, used to alsways have banana and no problem however recently it has given her a terrible almost burn when she has filled her nappy after eating it. Its so bad she cries when I put her o the changing mat as she knows I will be opening her nappy.

So I had stopped giving her banana, yesterday she had a couple of tastes of a banana ice-cream and she has a bad nappy again.

Is this a common thing with banana, does this link into any allergies, or anything I should be aware of?

thanks

sleeplessinstretford Thu 13-Aug-09 10:21:20

i can't eat bananas because they make the roof of my mouth and the back of my nose itch.I've never been diagnosed as allergic to anything though as i don't think they did that in the 70's!
it's pretty much the only thing (other than mosquito bites) that i react to

KnickKnack Thu 13-Aug-09 10:23:37

Do not give her anything with banana for 1 week. Then give her a small bit and see if she reacts. It it does happen again she will have to avoid bananas, and possibly worth having her allergy tested via your GP.

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 13-Aug-09 17:14:51

It was just over a week between her last banana and the ice-cream, shes got an appt for something else tomorrow so will bring it up.

Thanks

tinytalker Thu 13-Aug-09 21:50:53

Allergy to banana can be linked to latex allergy, see here;

http://www.alwaysreadthelabel.info/page9.htm

girlsyearapart Fri 14-Aug-09 07:53:37

Yes my dd has banana allergy. Makes her excema awful. Don't think it's as unusualas youmight think. But very annoying!

LoveBeingAMummy Fri 14-Aug-09 09:09:39

Thanks for the link tinytalker, strange how things can be linked together.

girlsyearapart, am i being naive in thinking its not that much of a problem to keep away from her?

MuppetsMuggle Fri 14-Aug-09 09:12:32

my DD has a banana allergy she comes out in a rash.

LoveBeingAMummy Fri 14-Aug-09 12:29:06

Muppets wht sort of rash?

Mamulik Fri 14-Aug-09 14:10:46

I mean if baby suffer so much why would you give her banana again?

LoveBeingAMummy Fri 14-Aug-09 16:01:05

It wasn't me who gave her the ice-cream

MuppetsMuggle Fri 14-Aug-09 16:40:42

sorry been out all day.

Its a blotchy and very red rash looks quite bad but it does go away.

was hard when she was a baby to make sure people didn't give her anything with banana in, same with school.

girlsyearapart Sat 15-Aug-09 07:07:51

No not difficult just to keep banana away yes difficult when she's allergic to dairy soya wheat egg tomato plum melon etc.. We need to keep an eye on her weight and would've been useful to be able to give banana but hey.

readbtweenthelines Sat 15-Aug-09 08:32:54

Hi

I don't know if you're allowed to post links but I found this information which may be of some use. Hope it helps.

what-you-need-to-know-about-allergies-to-bananas

mathanxiety Sat 29-Aug-09 08:54:05

Thank you for the link, readbetweenthelines. Latex is the one to really be concerned about here, especially if you need an operation or procedure, or have dental work done. The latex allergy can really complicate recovery because contact with latex gloves, etc can cause severe inflammation. I always thought banana, avocado cantaloupe (but not so much honeydew) and latex allergy went together.

As far as starches go, how about potatoes, rice, corn?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now