Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Best quilt for avoiding skin reactions in child with excema?

(11 Posts)
used2bthin Sat 08-Aug-09 22:51:40

I need to get a double as it is actually for my bed but DD comes in a lot atm. Mine needs replacing anyway and I'd like to get something that is best for DDs skin. Can you get 100percent cotton quilts? Or what would be best? I'm assuming feathers would irritate her skin...but am really very clueless about all things bedlinen. I also need new sheets and covers but can get 100 percent cotton easily enough for those. Any tips on where to find decent but afordable ones would be greatly appreciated though.Thanks.

elmofan Sun 09-Aug-09 17:20:38

yep cotton is the best material for eczema , feathers will only aggravate her skin , also if possible try get a light tog quilt instead of a warmer 1 , as people with eczema if they over heat during the night it might trigger the itching . hope that helps smile

used2bthin Sun 09-Aug-09 19:28:48

Thanks elmofan. Do you know where I'd find a quilt just made of cotton? I remember from buying DDs that even the hypoallergenic ones seem to be half poly half cotton.

used2bthin Sun 09-Aug-09 20:09:50

bump

elmofan Sun 09-Aug-09 20:18:36

well i just use the hypoallergenic ones & put a 100% cotton cover on them , we use the summer tog duvets , as we find when our dd overheats the itch drives her mad , but she only wears cotton clothes also , also we have ant allergy mattress & pillow covers as she might be allergic to dust mites , if your dd is sleeping in your bed then you need to put these covers onto your own mattress too ,
sorry but im not sure if you can get 100% cotton in duvets ,
have you tried AVEENO moisturiser yet ? i find it great .

bran Sun 09-Aug-09 20:21:05

I found that a John Lewis spiral light duvet works well for DS who has mild eczema. I bought a very low tog one.

John Lewis also do silk-filled duvets, but they cost a bomb.

used2bthin Sun 09-Aug-09 20:28:15

thanks both of you, when you say summer weight would that be 4.5 or is that going to be really thin? My flat is quite warm.

elmofan I did try Aveeno it was nice as a general moisturisor for DD when she gets dry but it was body stuff and her worst bit is on her face, then she has psoriasis on her elbows. Both seem to react to being too hot and any material except cotton. Her skin is actually exceptionally good at the moment though partly because I have discovered that her sun cream(its a natural one for very sensitive skin) actually helps clear her skin up! So I'kll be using that year round. The sun is good for psoriasis too though which explains it a bit.

I will also get soem anti allergy covers for my bed and hers. This is going to be expensive!

bran thanks I think I will order that quilt in 4.5 or 10 tog just can't decide which! Good to have a recommendation!

elmofan Sun 09-Aug-09 20:38:18

ok im not 100% sure but i think the 10 tog is a summer duvet ( thats what we use ) & the winter togs are the 13.5 togs . surprisingly the anti allergy covers are not that expensive , my dd is very bad at the moment , we went away last week & the difference in the water (showers ) had her in bits ,

used2bthin Sun 09-Aug-09 20:41:55

Oh I hope your DD' excema calms down soon, its awful when they have a bad flare up isn't it? John Lewis had some anti allergy covers, about £24 so no not that bad. She already has one on her bed but I will put one on mine. In fact mine already has a mattress proector on bt it was about £10 from wilkos so probably not cotton! Now need to find affordable cotton sheets and quilt covers, pillow protectors and pillow cases!

bran Sun 09-Aug-09 20:58:19

I use a 4.5 tog for DS, he always seems warm enough. In the summer he usually kicks if off completely. We have quite a warm flat though, if we didn't have double glazing I would probably go for a slightly higher tog for winter.

used2bthin Sun 09-Aug-09 21:00:35

I've just found a 7.5 tog one in the sale in white company. Also some pillow protectors. I can't afford their quilt covers and fitted sheets though even in the sale! My flat is baking but I think I'm also struggling to imagine feeling cold as its been so hot in here at night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now