Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dd with peanut allergy has suddenly got very phobic about food.

(9 Posts)
souvenir Fri 07-Aug-09 16:56:54

Message withdrawn

madrehayunasola Fri 07-Aug-09 18:13:10

Yes, good idea to seek professional advice if it doesn;t stop. Any other worries/concerns going on in her life? Of any kind? Sometimes certain fears (irrational, developmental or real) come out via food issues (or other ways)... a sort of emotional transfer of concerns from where they really belong to another area of her life ... or maybe it suddenly hit her (in a more grown up/logical/medical way as she is a bit older) what it means to live with an allergy?

MummyDragon Fri 07-Aug-09 20:24:56

Bless her. I had 2 anaphylactic reactions about 12 years ago and I still have nightmares about them, so I sympathise with your DD. It is such a terrifying experience.

Definitely a good idea to speak to your doctor about it and see if you can get some professional help/advice. Does your allergy clinic/paediatric clinic have someone friendly and approchable who could have a chat with your DD to put her mind at rest? Does your DD know where the Piriton and Epipens are? - I know you wouldn't expect a 6-year-old to administer them herself, but perhaps checking that they are in the right place every so often might reassure her a bit?

In the short term, vegetables, fruit, chicken, cheese, milk do provide a reasonably balanced diet - and could you try to get some "Free From" bread, or make your own, to provide fibre, etc?

I think I may have posted this on MN before, but Sainsbury will provide a detailed list of all their foods which are guaranteed to be nut-free. Could you get hold of one of those, and take it shopping with DD and let jer choose foods from the "safe" list? It is very extensive and you don't feel restricted at all when you're using it. (And it's not limited to the most expensive products either!!)

tatt Fri 07-Aug-09 22:27:43

well it's not actually that bad a diet.

I wonder if someone at school has been worrying her? BBF's SSD had some very bad experiences, even with a teacher. Or perhaps she has overheard discussions about her - is she reflecting your anxiety or that of other people around her?

Have you been to or considered attending an anaphylaxis camapign meet-up? For my nut allergic child that was a real turning point because it was the first time they met others with nut allergy. The older children take it in their stride and talk about over-anxious parents smile.

Children react in different ways but it's not unusual to have a bad path when they realise they are mortal. I don't know if you'd be able to get any professional help -it wouldn't hurt to ask but I suspect it would be a long wait and she'll have come out of it before you get to the front of the queue. Getting her to help shop and cook or prepare food is a a good idea.

souvenir Sat 08-Aug-09 21:23:39

Message withdrawn

foxinsocks Sat 08-Aug-09 21:26:53

I think this can happen. I always said to the paed that allergic children could do with some sort of psychological counselling.

Dd was like this for a bit (when her egg allergy was v severe).

Worst was when she outgrew her milk allergy but was terrified of eating something she had been avoiding her whole life. Was really a mind fuck (excuse the language, can't think of a better phrase) for her.

I think you have to be incredibly relaxed which is v hard when it's the sort of topic that makes parents v nervous! I think it's also that sort of age where they really start understanding the concept of death being final and how frightening an allergy like that can be iyswim.

tatt Sat 08-Aug-09 22:32:05

I've bought baby bel and bananas when we've been out and wanted extra snacks, something to suggest to your Dp maybe. My child would always eat junk food though [sigh].

Non-allergic children can have worry patches too, it just seems to be worse with the allergic ones because they have something real to worry about. You have to be fairly honest about the risks to get them to be careful and then it is frightening for them.

Would be good if someone could offer counselling to allergic children or if there was some advice on dealing with the psychological issues.

MummyDragon Sun 09-Aug-09 20:02:12

souvenir it sounds as though she's having panic attacks ... definitely speak to your GP or paediatrician. How is DD today?

BlueBumedFly Tue 11-Aug-09 22:03:43

Have you tried cooking with your DD? She can make her own cookies/cakes/bread/ etc etc and that might help boost her confidence that all ingredients don't have hidden nuts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now