Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Asthma/ Bronchiolitis?

(8 Posts)
Worrier28 Thu 06-Aug-09 11:45:10

Yesterday I took my DS to the doctors as he was wheezing (as soon as we got to the surgery he stopped)! He checked him over and said he sounded fine and did not want to give him a pump as he would be labelled asthmatic.

Got home the wheezing and shortness of breath happened again so I went to A&E, they checked him over said he was fine and just to monitor him. It is quite scary and wanted to know everyone elses experience, they said he is suspectable to develop asthmas as well. How long does this take to go away? He seems to be doing better today, fingers crossed.

lucymum2four Thu 06-Aug-09 12:47:26

my dd and ds both have asthma.
does it sound deep in his chest or more towards his throat?
another thing to look for is muscles under ribs drawing in with each breath.

Worrier28 Thu 06-Aug-09 13:18:34

He flares his nostrils and I can see his chest going in and out rather rapidly. I'm not sure whether is is most chest or throat, will listen out for his next wheeze!

lucymum2four Thu 06-Aug-09 13:25:41

it's such a scary thing to hear so really do sympathise with you.

when mine have little wheeze and not fuu on attack i will take them into bathroom with toys shut the door and run the shower on hot.
the steam clears the wheeze most times maybe something to try.

how old is he?
drs are reluctant to diagnose under 5 usually. we only got dx as their dad is real bad with his asthma has been in intensive care a few times with it.

Worrier28 Thu 06-Aug-09 18:37:08

I have been doing the steam thing, thanks it is playing havoc with my hair! If it is astma wouldn't it need yo be treated? He is 4 months.

lucymum2four Thu 06-Aug-09 20:27:05

my ds 1 was in hospital at 8weeks with tubes everywhere and oxygen tank over his head and still would'nt let on that it was asthma only when he was 2.6 that was told it was asthma during an attack, has too inhalers now. but i would say whenever you hear wheezing keep doing the steam and keep taking him back. otherwise dr will keep putting it down to a cold ect

Worrier28 Fri 07-Aug-09 09:09:27

Ok, thanks - it's a bit weird that they don't want to diagnose it? I don't know much about asthma but surely not being able to breath needs medication?

3littlefrogs Fri 07-Aug-09 09:17:31

Wheezy babies can deteriorate rapidly, so don't hesitate to take him back, either to GP or A&E if you are worried. Take him back as often as necessary - don't take any chances.

You may not necessarily hear the wheeze, but rapid breathing, flaring and chest recessing are indications that he needs to go to A&E. If he is unable/unwilling to feed, that is a sign that he is too breathless to suck, so needs to be in hospital. Not trying to scare you, but he is very small, so I would err on the side of caution.

Ds was admitted to hospital with RSV bronchiolitis at 4 months. It is very common for children to wheeze for up to ten years following this. This is exactly what happened with ds. He was treated as an asthmatic until he was about 15, and is now off all his meds and is fit and well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now