Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eczema - mixing emollients?

(5 Posts)
Worrier28 Thu 06-Aug-09 11:33:56

Morning Ladies

My son has non-itchy eczema all over and I have received some brill advice from here. At the moment, it is all over his body and I was given a 'careplan' by my HV to use cetrabren liberally whenever necersary. Some of the eczema has gone, some has remained. I went to A&E yesterday (reason posted in another thread) and the paediatrician offered me emollient 50 and said it is the greasiest cream on the market and said I could use it at nights. Is there a danger mixing creams? It is called Emollient 50, anyone tried it?

cassell Thu 06-Aug-09 18:53:32

Can't see any problem whatsover with mixing creams you have to try lots to find the best one for your ds. (Although my ds doesn't have eczema yet touch wood I have had it since I was a baby and have tried most creams, mixed them, tried everything really!) Having said that emollient 50 is not one I've come across but then I have always avoided the "greasy" ones as I find they feel awful on the skin and personally I've never found them that effective (the best cream IME is Eucerin for the body and Aveeno for the face - but everyone is different).

Anyway bumping this for you to see if anyone else has any ideas to help you.

MummyToucan Thu 06-Aug-09 20:57:57

It sounds like what we call 50/50 cream - 50% white soft parafin and 50% liquid parafin - really greasy so really mosturising.

There's no problem with using different creams for different times of day - a greasier cream is better at night when it's less annoying to be greasy!

Hope your son's skin gets better soon.

Sheilsie Fri 07-Aug-09 00:21:34

My DD's dermatalogist has recently changed her emollient from Hydromol ointment to 50:50. Although 50:50 is very greasy, it is easy to apply (much more so than Hydromol, which is practically solid), it just doesn't get absorbed very quickly. Slippy stuff!

Worrier28 Fri 07-Aug-09 08:59:23

Thanks for the advice, I was worried mixing the creams would cause a problem but looking. Yes, it is 50/50 cream and looks like a tub of liquified lard. I will use it at night and see how it goes and of course, report back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now