Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

happy on cow's milk formula but intolerant to dairy products??

(7 Posts)
jennyroper Sun 02-Aug-09 22:43:09

my 8 month old id twins have been fed on normal cow's milk formula all their lives and have been very happy on it.
But.....are intolerant to dairy products - normal cow's milk, cheese, butter etc (fine on egg). How is that possible when they have no problem with formula?

girlsyearapart Mon 03-Aug-09 07:18:31

Think it could be due to how 'broken down' the cows milk protein is in formula? More broken down in formula than in dairy products I think.

Picante Mon 03-Aug-09 07:27:04

Just means they have a mild intolerance and just react to dairy in its purest form. Also means they are v likely to grow out of it in the next couple of years.

smile

seeker Mon 03-Aug-09 07:28:06

What form does the intolerance take?

3cutedarlings Mon 03-Aug-09 07:51:22

My DD1 was the same (shes now 6) although she was BFed, she would get a runny bum if diary was included in her diet. She has now out grown it, but i still have to monitor how much diary is in her diet. Oddly she still cant have cows milk yogurts as they give her awful tummy aches.

jennyroper Mon 03-Aug-09 09:39:06

It is characterised by red rash on their face within an hour or so and gets worse and worse the more dairy they eat. They also get wind and some discomfort in digesting their food. It's certainly not a particularly bad intolerance. I was rather hoping they would grow out of it. Do you think it's indicative of being intolerant to the lactose or to the protein in cow's milk?

KnackeredOldHag Tue 04-Aug-09 13:44:34

Its unlikely to be the lactose, as this is also in baby formula. However, a lot of the proteins in normal cows milk are removed from baby formula (there is too much for young babies immature kidneys) and it is most likely that the particular proteins your dt's are allergic to have been removed from formula in the processing of it. I have a colleague who's dc has the same thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now