Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

(hopefully) temporary intolerances after bad virus - advice please

(6 Posts)
misscutandstick Sat 01-Aug-09 14:36:03

I had a really nasty virus (theres hot debate in the family wether it was swine flu or not) knocked me down completely for 10days.

anyway i have been left with intolerances to milk and tomatoes. I was always a bit dodgy with eggs, and have always been allergic to paprika/capsicum and mushrooms, all of which is now much worse (not anaphalactic, just rashes and swelling) eg i used to be able to manage baked beans but cant anymore (because of the tomatoes and paprika).

JUST before i was ill i was on a trial wheat/gluten free diet as most of my mothers side of the family is intolerant of it, as are 2 of my 5 children. I have since tried it after recovering (tho still lack of stamina) and seem to be intolerant to that too...

so my question:

How long do these illness related intolerances last after recovery, and are any of them likely to remain so, given the families history??

any experience and advice most very welcome.

TIA

Claire2301 Sat 01-Aug-09 15:18:50

Hey

I had camplyobacter last year (after eating piri piri chicken in Portugal!) and I found that I couldn't eat dairy based foods for around 3 months. I still really struggle to eat certain types of cheese and cannot have much cream/yohurt. (Food poisioning was last October)

Hope you are better soon

tatt Sun 02-Aug-09 06:08:48

"temporary" intolerances can last anything from a few days to 18 months and possibly longer. If you add some digestive enzymes or probiotics to your diet you may restore your gut faster. I don't know what the best thing is to take. I have family experience of lactase helping with milk intolerance and biocare glutenzyme plus or peptizyde helping with gluten intolerance. Of the last two Peptizyde is better but much more expensive and harder to find. Both biocare and peptizyde should help with dairy too.

In your place would be inclined to be GF/DF for at least a month before risking anything.

misscutandstick Sun 02-Aug-09 22:26:53

thanks claire and tatt.

tatt still having major tummy probs with 'hidden' milk that slips thru the net (im normally very good at avoiding it for my son, but obviously dont take as much care with myself!) and its been 3wks now.

ive lost a stone in weight tho! grin smile

Claire2301 Mon 03-Aug-09 08:04:33

Oh it's fab for weightloss! Lost 1.5 stone in a six week period. Two weeks of being able to take nothing then violent reactions until I worked out exactly what I couldn't eat.

Hope yours eases up soon.

tatt Tue 04-Aug-09 06:36:13

with my OH problems lasted until he started taking lactase then he gradually recovered and can now have dairy without lactase provided it's not in excess. Be difficult to say how long it took to recover because we didn't deliberately give him milk to see if he could have it, it was only when he forgot the tablets while eating out that we realised he was OK now. I wish we'd started him on the lactase sooner.

Difficult to get anything like this right all the time. Had what I thought was a gluten free meal yesterday then started to fall asleep and realised there must have been wheat on something. I took an enzyme pill as soon as I realised.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now