Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Allergic reaction to beef - anyone else had this?

(20 Posts)
Salleroo Tue 28-Jul-09 22:15:15

DD1 is allergic to egg, nuts and seeds. She will get hives and her face and lips swell. No epipen, but we need to have the antihistamine to hand and avoid these foods completely.

We have now discovered she seems to be allergic to beef hmm. Previously I thought maybe a bit of horseradish or mustard got on her beef or it was one of the other dishes served, or even what had been previously cooked in the pan. Tonight I made homemade burgers, mince, herbs, salt and pepper (in a clean non stick pan)and she ate one. Next thing her face is coming up in hives and her lips start to swell.

Apart from the itch it doesnt bother her and luckily so far it had never affected her breathing. We gave her antihistamine and cleaned her face and within 30 mins it was going back to normal.

Has anyone experienced an allergy to beef/animal fat/red meat???

GivePeasAChance Tue 28-Jul-09 22:17:00

Did you fry the burger in an oil or butter?

Niecie Tue 28-Jul-09 22:20:02

My friend was allergic to red meat as a child. I am not sure what her reaction was other than she threw up. I don't know if she got rashes/swelling. She didn't have the same trouble with chicken funnily enough and has been eating that since childhood.

She avoided it for many years but tried it again in her mid twenties and was fine. I don't think she bothers to eat it now. She isn't keen on it and she managed all these years without it so why bother?

The doctor did tell her she was likely to grow out of it in adulthood.

Have you tried your DD on other red meat apart from beef?

zeered Tue 28-Jul-09 22:31:46

My son was diagnosed with a beef allergy amongst all his others, a few weeks ago at the Evelina Children's hospital. It is apparently rare and is linked to milk allergy as similar protein.

So I would definitely get her tested. Sorry I know its none of my business, but I would think you do need an epipen with her allergies. My son has - he is severly allergic to eggs, dairy, wheat, soya, peanuts, tree nuts and beef.

Hope this helps x

zeered Tue 28-Jul-09 22:32:59

sorry forgot - also sesame.

OrangeFish Tue 28-Jul-09 22:35:34

My tongue always feels a bit strange after eating mince, but it never happens when I eat meat that has not been minced. I don't get why it happens.

Salleroo Tue 28-Jul-09 22:44:19

Thanks for all your responses.

Used no oil as non-stick pan and mince has some of its own fat.

Allergic to sesame too. She has been for an allergy test last Nov where various allergies were diagnosed but they didnt think she needed a pen at the time.

We are back in Nov for a review and further tests (to see if she has grown out of egg).

She eats sausages, salami, ham, lamb without any pbs. Is v wierd.

Isn't really a pb at home as I dont use packets or jars so know exactly what is going in her mouth. Taking her anywhere can be a bit daunting. The hummos came out at a bbq on Sat and I had to keep a gimlet eye to make sure she didnt get her hands on any. She has has spag bol without and pbs. I'll have to test this further. It's looking like the poor mite will rarely be able to eat with us at this rate ffs.

Salleroo Tue 28-Jul-09 22:46:27

That would be hummus

gigglewitch Tue 28-Jul-09 22:46:51

my dses have CMPI and also have problems with beef - it's the proteins apparently hmm. Mine are also fine with any other meat. We have just had to ban anything "cow related" in our house....

gigglewitch Tue 28-Jul-09 22:47:58

ps fwiw we also avoid beef gelatine - only use jellies and sweets which have pork gelatine. An absolute PITA but worth it.

Salleroo Tue 28-Jul-09 22:51:02

What's CMPI?

gigglewitch Tue 28-Jul-09 22:52:24

sorry - cows milk protein intolerance smile

Salleroo Tue 28-Jul-09 22:56:59

I could really do without that.

She has goats milk and has had the odd bottle of cows milk when I run out and eats cows yoghurt without any apparent reaction.

The poor little mite, she was raw with excema till she was 1. Hopefully this will all pass in time.

gigglewitch Tue 28-Jul-09 23:02:19

cross fingers for you - hope this was a crazy one off and she'll grow out of it. you have enough on your hands by the look! my dc can't have anything at all with cows milk in so obv she is nothing like that, we also have goat milk which works really well for the eczema. If you are feeling control freaky, keep it all written down in some sort of food diary (which you probably already do) and if anything sets her off again then you have a good record to give the medics smile

Salleroo Wed 29-Jul-09 12:30:53

Unfortunately it's not a one off, its only that there was nothing else added to the mix that we could blame and this happens every time she has beef.

Will note these and bring along to tests in Nov.

suenorth Fri 11-Sep-09 00:03:03

Just spotted this - bit late to the party!

My ds (4) has beef allergy (among others - but not cow's milk). His test for it came up really low, but he has an immediate and severe reaction (redness and swelling around lips and very severe vomiting).

What I wanted to add, was watch out for the skins on sausages. Even if the sausage is pork meat, they are sometimes filled into beef casings.

mathanxiety Fri 11-Sep-09 19:22:14

Yes, DD1 had this, as well as cow's milk. Protein problems.. Again, just cow related. She was fine with lamb and other meats. I had to read packages carefully to check if items like salami contained beef.

bridewolf Sat 12-Sep-09 11:47:56

you can be allergic to any food, and meat allergies are not unheard of.

as you are adding more foods to your childs list, i would try and get a earlier appointment with your allergy doc.

like you, our immunologist , after testing thought that we would be ok with just antihistmine. as lots of young children respond really well, esp if given quickly.

at the time of that appointment, our son had egg, tree nut and peanut allergies.

in the time inbetween we not only discovered other allergies, but his reactions to egg, even airbourne , were pretty frightening.

he also had reactions to foods with a may contain label, not something they thought to warn us about.

his allergy list, 2-3yrs
egg
peanut
tree nuts
beans
cat
dog
dustmite
hay fever
tree pollen

i asked my gp for epi pens, and we got them.
next appointment with the london clinic, we discribed his reactions, and they told us that we HAD to have epi pens.
thankfully we already had them.

from the age of 3, added more allergies,
and again at 8yrs.

outgrew cooked egg and tree nuts, and briefly raw egg allergy. (that has changed)

what i am trying to say in my waffle type way , is that your child is a already multiple in allergies, and has more than some. so you do need further medical advice.
esp if some forms of protein are going to be an issue for her.

make that call, get some further support.

KerryMumbles Sat 12-Sep-09 12:01:27

ds1 is highly allergic to beef. He can't even touch a cow. His arm swelled up the one time he did.

SimplyIsGoingToLearnToFLY Sat 12-Sep-09 12:25:13

I know an adult who can only eat organic beef. I think he prefers to avoid eating it all together, though cost may be a factor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now