Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dairy free strawberry tart - any ideas?

(9 Posts)
Weta Tue 28-Jul-09 21:38:45

This is a bit of a long shot, but we have a toddler book with pictures of different foods and DS1 has been on at me for ages about a strawberry tart (basically it's normally pastry with creme patissiere (thick French custard stuff) and then whole or halved strawberries on top).

I can't seem to find any dairy free recipes on the internet and just wondered whether anyone has any bright ideas as to something I could use instead of the custard!!

I can't stand the taste of soy milk and am wary about making the custard with rice milk as I'm not that great at custards anyway and I think it wouldn't set properly...

Thanks...

Aranea Tue 28-Jul-09 21:41:07

Sorry I can't help but I think I must be tired as I initially (optimistically) read the thread title as 'daily free strawberry tart'

trixymalixy Tue 28-Jul-09 22:42:00

Make the custard with oatly cream substitute, it makes it a bit thicker than with rice milk.

You can also get soya whipping cream which is very sweet and would do the job or soya scooshy cream.

Weta Wed 29-Jul-09 10:08:27

Sorry to disappoint you Aranea!!

Trixymalixy, the oat cream sounds like a good idea instead of rice milk - I'll give it a try. We live in Luxembourg and I haven't seen soy whipping cream, but as I say I prefer to avoid soy for the taste anyway.

evester Tue 04-Aug-09 21:42:37

I bought a 2 pack of strawberry tarts in tesco yesterday which I noticed were dairy free (was checking for egg free). Tesco's own brand sold at the chilled desert section. Don't have the pack left to check what it was made with (probably a lot unhealthy crap!)

glucose Tue 04-Aug-09 21:51:39

lemon curd to stick the strawbs on the tart?

DidEinsteinsMum Tue 04-Aug-09 22:03:57

Will confess we use the alpro ready made custard for this kinda thing. Cant stand own brand substitutes and too lazy plus havent found custard powder that is milk free.

MrsBadger Tue 04-Aug-09 22:15:36

creme patissiere is a bitch to make even with cows' milk IME

so cheat

put the strawberries straight on the pastry and fill up the case with srtawberry jelly.

Weta Mon 10-Aug-09 09:15:16

Thanks for those suggestions... we live in Luxembourg so no Tescos and the only tarts I've ever seen always seem to have butter and cream in them.

We do have some Alpro products here so will check whether I can find the custard or not. ditto the jelly idea...

Lemon curd is a really good idea and in fact I know a shop where I can buy some without dairy in it!! thanks!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now