Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

the doctor says.....

(6 Posts)
pleaserewind Sun 22-May-05 16:28:31

if ds2 is't better with the loratadine(for hayfever) then i should double the dose which is the adult dose. he says he will be o.k on that. He's 6 by the way, would you trust the doctor and give the adult dose??

Fran1 Sun 22-May-05 16:32:36

I would do some research myself first. Search the net, maybe speak to a pharmacist.

Is drowsiness one of the effects? If so i would be reluctant to double the dose.

BUT i have no medical qualifications and could be talking crap!

lavenderrr Sun 22-May-05 16:41:50

don't know but I know that Benadryl once a day, which is an antihistamine states dosage " Adults and children aged over 12 years and over- take one tablet a day...I am not a doctor but if it contains antihistamines would be very reluctant to give a 6 year the same as an adult...but if you can't trust a doctor then who can you trust, maybe get 2 pharmacists opinions and then decide..

WigWamBam Sun 22-May-05 16:51:52

If the doctor has recommended it, then I would trust his judgment. Presumably he's come across this before and has recommended this treatment before.

You could always get a second opinion from another GP - a pharmacist would only tell you what the recommendations on the box are, I would trust a GP's knowledge and judgment.

bobbybob Mon 23-May-05 01:59:16

I sometimes have to give my ds the adult dose of zyrtec (child dose for maintenence and then another dose for a reaction).

I would say that if he doesn't get better with the childs dose you could try one of two things:

1) Another medication
2) Slowly increase the dose toward the adult dose and see exactly how much he needs to feel better.

I seem to remember something about kidneys, so if you do increase the dose I would make sure he drinks extra water.

tatt Mon 23-May-05 11:11:54

dd's consultant said she could have the adult dose of piriton if having a minor reaction. Generally medicines are not tested on children so the levels suggested are a bit of a guestimate anyway. They tend to base it on bodyweight. Pharmacists are better trained on drugs than doctors. As it isn't unusaul for kids with a serious problem to be given adult doses and your doctor has prescribed it I wouldn't let it worry you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: