Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ice-cream, lollies and may contain trace of nut

(8 Posts)
madretierra Thu 23-Jul-09 21:24:44

Do you know what ice-creams are safe for my DS allergic to tree nuts? Something I could buy at the ice-cream van outside school, they all seem to "may contain nuts".....we just found out about the allergy and might be too freaked at this stage...does it get better? do you avoid everything with the "maycontain"? Brilliant doctor allergist pediatrician told me that was the wise thing to do...he said a trace could be minute (and still dangerous)or a quarter of a nut...

PuzzleRocks Thu 23-Jul-09 23:10:55

this is a good resource

beggsie Thu 23-Jul-09 23:32:07

Hi there

We've just discovered my ds has an allergy to brazil nuts too so know exactly where you are coming from. We've found that classic Magnums are OK so far (but not the mini magnums you buy at the supermarket). We sometimes buy the 'may contain' items - if it is not made on the same production line as something made with nuts for instance. Having said that, if in doubt, we don't buy. It is definitely rubbish to start with but we are coming to terms with it, and you will too, in time. Just think - there is infinitely more your ds can eat than he can't. And if he has to avoid a little more desserts/icecream/chocolate etc its no bad thing.....

HTH
Beggsie

madretierra Thu 23-Jul-09 23:32:33

Puzzlerocks, thanks for your reply ... ???

madretierra Thu 23-Jul-09 23:37:41

Hi Beggsie

Thanks for your reply, sorry to hear that your ds has this too...
I'll check on those, how do you know if it is made on the same production line as something made with nuts as opposed to factory handle nuts etc..? would it be specified?
Yes, he is eating more fruit and "home made" ice-creams instead..it is just so nice to have the once from the van..

PuzzleRocks Thu 23-Jul-09 23:54:05

why the ??? madretierra

PuzzleRocks Fri 24-Jul-09 00:01:03

Oh I see, I linked to the wrong thing. try here

chloesmumtoo Tue 28-Jul-09 15:29:52

We use marks and spencers ice cream. Has no nut warnings. They do Cornish, Toffee and raspbery ripple ect

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now