Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dog hair allergy?

(8 Posts)
wigglybeezer Wed 22-Jul-09 11:49:42

DS1 is desperate to get a dog, he has enjoyed playing with my sisters' very short haired whippet but we recently borrowed a border terrier for a day and night and DS1's eyes puffed up and went itchy. Is it possible to be allergic only to long or rough -haired dogs and okay with smooth- coated ones?

hercules1 Wed 22-Jul-09 11:54:36

I am allergic to the saliva of short haired dogs ( that's what I can work out anway). LOng haired dogs saliva doesnt bother me. I get itchy hive type spots where saliva touches and if I touch my eyes after stroking then they get sore.
HOwever I am used to it and it passes. MAke sure I always wash my hands after stroking our dogs.

wigglybeezer Wed 22-Jul-09 12:04:14

Thats interesting hercules as the border terrier was very friendly and licked DS1's face but the more sensible whippet doesn't do this (just gives you a sniff).

hercules1 Wed 22-Jul-09 12:06:25

I live fine with our very large short haired dog to which I am clearly allergic to saliva. However I can manage as an adult as I know what to do and not do. Not sure if a child could do the same.
You might need more time with a dog as a trial and not let the dog lick your ds's face.

girlsyearapart Wed 22-Jul-09 12:08:00

Apparently v uncommon to be allergic to poodles..

tinytalker Wed 22-Jul-09 21:16:09

My dd is allergic to dogs and she has done her research and Labradoodles and Miniature Schnauzers are hypoallergenic!

DesperateHousewifeToo Wed 22-Jul-09 21:32:32

I reads an article ages ago about this. Don't labradoodles have to be bred with a non-allergenic poodle in order for them to be so?

Therefore, not all labradoodles are hypo-allergenic.

see here

KingCanuteIAm Wed 22-Jul-09 21:36:41

I thought Labradoodles had to be 2nd generation - ie poodle x lab which is then crossed with a poodle again...?

But yes, not all are hypo-allergenic. There are other types of dog that can be good but I don't know much about them.

Could you research possible breeds and then find some breeders who would be open to letting your ds meet a few of the dogs to test for possible reactions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now