Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you eat a gluten free diet (or are a coeliac) would you risk this?

(3 Posts)
onepieceoflollipop Sun 19-Jul-09 19:33:24

Dh is a coeliac (his description), diagnosed as a small baby.

I bought a bag of ready washed/chopped stir fry veg from Sainsbury's today, the Basics range. (in my defence I normally wash and chop the veg myself, but this was a real bargain). I had it all planned out, chicken stir fry with rice noodles, take a portion out for dh before adding the soy sauce.

I look on the back of the bag "not suitable for wheat gluten allergy sufferers" - due to the methods of manufacture used. (or similar wording)

Would you risk it? Dh says yes, I am thinking maybe yes, but re-wash it. Makes me wonder what on earth the method of manufacture was?! Did the staff eat their sandwiches next to the machine or something, and add some complementary breadcrumbs? wink

Realistically I expect it was the same machine used to prepare other stir fry type items such as egg noodles and Sainsbury's is just being cautious.

Riddo Sun 19-Jul-09 19:45:29

I'm on a gluten free diet but not a coeliac. I risk eating things with a warning like that but I'm sure if you re-wash it, then it will be fine.

I think they have to put the warning on if the facotry has ever produced a product containing wheat. It's all a bit OTT - Aldi's spring water says "gluten free" on it!

onepieceoflollipop Sun 19-Jul-09 19:56:00

Hi Riddo, thanks for your reply. I accidentally posted 2 threads on this.

The Aldi labelling does make me laugh. They label the most innocent of items as gluten free. In the past (maybe even now) I have seen whole fruits labelled as gluten free. One assumes they don't inject breadcrumbs into the apples, or pour wheat into the spring water, (!) so the labelling is a little bit ott imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now