Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Calling all milk free diet experts

(9 Posts)
DidEinsteinsMum Tue 14-Jul-09 08:25:35

Ok probably stuck this in wrong place <hands up, dont shoot>

I want to make a potatoe gratan / dauphinois thing and the recipie says double cream, cheese and butter. We use vitalite and have a few recipies fail to work taste wise. What do i use instead of double cream to make it milk free and do i need to adapt recipie due to flavour change. Plus ds hates the milk free cheese we have previously tried. Not sure if it was a taste or texture thing. Any suggestions?

Is it just a no starter?

TIA

ilovemydogandmrobama Tue 14-Jul-09 14:29:17

oatly cream. A lot of people get it at tescos, but I can only find it in our local organic store (although it isn't organic hmm) or Waitrose (good excuse, no?)

I do a version of dauphinoise with sliced potatoes, garlic, oatly cream and Pure (non dairy margarine)

Haven't found a decent cheese substitute, but always on the look out! smile

trixymalixy Tue 14-Jul-09 18:28:46

there's a nice recipe on the oatly website for root veg gratin, i make it with just potatoes and it's very nice. It doesn't require a cheese substitute.

www.oatly.com

I get Oatly in my local tescos, but a health food shop said they could order it in for me as well.

kif Tue 14-Jul-09 18:36:11

I make the same idea but with quite string veg/chicken stock instead of the cream. Dot some fat on the top to help it crisp. Still melting lovely - no milk of frankenstine milk.

kif Tue 14-Jul-09 18:36:31

string? strong!

kif Tue 14-Jul-09 18:36:56

of? or!

(I'll leave now....)

DidEinsteinsMum Tue 14-Jul-09 20:28:33

Milk of frankenstine milk? Come back and explain kif!

girlsyearapart Wed 15-Jul-09 07:30:26

Thinly sliced potato with thinly sliced leek and bacon bits veg stock dot top with marg.

AcademicMum Wed 15-Jul-09 22:47:18

Would also suggest oatly cream or Tofutti Sour Supreme which is a soya-based sour cream substitute. For cheese substitutes we use the Tofutti mozerella-style soya stuff (the one that comes in a block not in slices). This is about the best for cooking with as it does replicate the mozerella flavour to quite an extent. It is absolutely vile if you try eating it as is though. Otherwise i tend to use some of the cream cheese substitutes in recipes which require cheese as these are sometimes a bit better. Again about the best i've found are the Tofutti ones.

(Disclaimer: I don't work for them, honestly!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now