Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cows milk and egg allergy

(5 Posts)
Donada Sun 12-Jul-09 17:57:48

My ds (8mths) has just been diagnosed by an allergeist with cow and egg white allergy, he doesn't vomit or get an upset tummy but he does get a rash, just on his cheeks. He is thriving and hope he continues to. I have also been told by the dietician that I need to cut all dairy out of my diet. Has anyone else had a similar experience, how easy is it to keep away from the allergic foods and the million dollar q what are the chances of him growing out of it (I know this is impossible to answer but just seeing if anyone has had a positive outcome).

angdon Mon 13-Jul-09 08:46:33

Hi hun , My little one had the same problems .
However she was very sick but also had rash and spots on her face.

Its not that bad there is alot of free from stuff in asda and tesco . Pretty good . Also when ds is older viatalite marge is also dairy free. there is alot of baby food that has dairy products in , such as whey , wheat that would be best to avoid. ( Im sure they would of told you that ) . Also processed meets effected my daughter such as ham as it had dairy in them such as whey etc .. Its imoortant to read Packaging , However it did make me turn alot more to fruit and veg and my daughter eats them alot. You can get dairy free youghurts to

My Daughter is now 16mths i turned her to Skimmed milk instead of Soya as soya damages the teeth) ,about two months ago. And i have to say its going well , she can now eat dairy but we have to test not go overboard . She eats most things now however there will be the odd thing that will still effect her like cheese ( not suprising ) but she can now eat youghurts etc .
Hope this is of some help x

Donada Mon 13-Jul-09 21:21:33

Thanks angdon for your message, it all helps!

AcademicMum Mon 13-Jul-09 23:38:01

My ds1 (4.5 years) has an egg allergy and ds2 (14 months) has a dairy allergy. Whilst feeding ds2 I maintained a completely dairy free diet, as he broke out in hives the only time I slipped up and ate goats cheese. I stopped breastfeeding him completely about a month or so ago (I can eat cheese again - yippee grin). Although a dairy free diet is hard it is not too bad once you get used to it and this comes from a veggie going dairy free. I should say though that ds2 is anaphylactic for dairy and has just been prescribed an epipen as a result. I'd love to think he'll grow out of it, but I'm not holding my breath.

DS1's egg allergy though used to be bad when he was younger. However, it now seems to have calmed down and he will have an oral challenge next month grin.

Finally though if you are going dairy free, try and get a calcium supplement prescribed. You don't want to end up with brittle bones as a result.

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 15-Jul-09 07:57:08

It's not overly hard to avoid either, though a bit of a pain obv to have to avoid both.

Around 80% of of children outgrow milk allergy before school age. Not sure of figures for egg, but expect similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now