Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What do you do when your child gets too old for hypoallergenic formula?

(9 Posts)
Picante Mon 06-Jul-09 14:55:17

DS is 3.3 and still has Neocate on prescription blush. TBH I'm surprised the GP is still letting me have it.

He seems to have grown out of his dairy allergy but has adverse effects if he has too much - so he can have it on his cereal but not to drink iyswim.

He won't drink soya - I think it's too sweet for him, and he won't touch goat's milk.

What else can I do? He's still a bit of a milk monster, having a large beaker at night and another in the morning, so I can't just stop altogether.

Thanks.

girlsyearapart Mon 06-Jul-09 15:53:11

We were told our dd 9mo can have Nutramigen AA on prescription till 18mo then will put her on a supervised 'milk reintroduction' programme. Have they suggested that for your ds? Not sure what happens if that doesn't work though. How about rice milk?

babybarrister Mon 06-Jul-09 22:18:14

oat milk and rice milk both fortified with calcium

idunnop Tue 07-Jul-09 10:38:12

you can get unsweetened soya milk in cartons if the sweetness is a problem. DD (21 months) is currently on soya formula but we've been told to switch her onto regular soya milk at 2yo.

simpson Tue 07-Jul-09 12:18:34

DD (17mths) is going to be on neocate for a while too and least until she is 2.6 then slowly try dairy/soya in her diet.

Picante Tue 07-Jul-09 12:58:33

Thanks ladies I shall try some of these.

inmysparetime Thu 09-Jul-09 13:44:07

ds is still getting wysoy on prescription and he's 8 in September.
Spoke to docs and they can't get liquid milk alternatives on prescription, so i just keep filling in the repeat form and the wysoy just keeps on coming!

AcademicMum Thu 09-Jul-09 14:38:29

If he's happy on neocate and the GP is still willing to prescribe, I'd just keep the status quo to be honest. I know the Neocate Advance is aimed at children from 1-10 years, so at 3.3 you've still got a while yet!

Picante Thu 09-Jul-09 16:17:42

Oh thanks AM I didn't know that! Will keep it going and not mention his age to the gp - thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now