Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sick of cooking same stuff due to multiple allergies (General rant)

(43 Posts)
VelvetCushions Thu 02-Jul-09 11:02:52

Ds2 has mutiple allergies and he can't have dairy, nuts, egg, beans and lentils or fish.
For him to get his proteins, I have to cook with chicken or meat everyday. He can't have white sauces so everything tends to be in a tomato based sauce or just roasted or grilled.

I do use a lot of veg and lunches are usually left overs or a carb and veg (today its rice cooked in a tomato, garlic base with carrots and veg thrown in)

Is there another protein source that I haven't considered?
Can anyone give me any ideas to vary meals?

BennyAndJoon Thu 02-Jul-09 11:06:43

Could you do sauces with coconut milk? A chicken (I know!) Korma style dish without the almonds?

Can he have Quorn (Do they do a version without egg in - I think the regular one has some egg-white)

athomeagain Thu 02-Jul-09 11:06:49

How about soya? or tofu.

VelvetCushions Thu 02-Jul-09 11:40:03

I think soya comes from the bean/lentil group so he won't be able to have it.
Not sure about quorn.

Coconut milk is a good idea. Thanks I will try that.

I tend to cook one meal during the week (dh/I cook something different for us) and I think I'm just missing simple meals like fish in a white sauce and feel sad that ds2 won't be able to have anything like that. Plus ds1 misses out too. sad

VelvetCushions Thu 02-Jul-09 11:41:23

sorry meant dh and I cook a different meal on Saturdays for us (usually as he wants a fiery curry!)

babybarrister Thu 02-Jul-09 13:34:26

Oatly oat cream good for that "creamy" sauce ....
apart from that I can only empathise as just as boring round this way!

AcademicMum Thu 02-Jul-09 14:51:53

We have a similar problem, but thankfully not contained in just 1 child. DS1 has allergies to eggs, nuts, beans, kiwi and he most recent addition is peas (together with hayfever), ds2 has allergies to dairy and sesame seeds and we now suspect fish. I am vegetarian. I end up cooking different meals for everyone each night.

Quorn is not OK for dairy or egg allergy, soya is probably not OK with a bean allergy but that said ds1 will tolerate soya products but has a proven allergy to beans e.g. kidney, baked, black-eye etc.

I would second the suggestion of using oatly cream for sauces it is very good. Tescos also sell a dairy free "cheese" sauce mix which is quite reasonable when made using oatly. Home made rice pudding is good with rice milk if you want something a bit "milky" occassionally.

girlsyearapart Thu 02-Jul-09 19:03:39

nothing sensible or helpful to add just wanted to say I feel your culinary pain!! dd2 no dairy soya egg wheat tomato banana or plum. Wheat free pasta with broccoli and Pure spread anyone?? Mmm mm...hmm

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jul-09 19:13:59

I can definitely empathise with this!!!!

DS is dairy, egg, legumes and sesame allergic.

I am getting really fed up of tomato pasta.

i can second oatly for a good white sauce.

I used to cook moussaka with a white sauce made from oatly which was nice.

How about homemade lamb burgers? DS also likes my homemade lamb and mint kebabs.

is he okay with chcikpeas? You could make humous.

misdee Thu 02-Jul-09 19:18:48

how do i make rice pud with rice pud?

misdee Thu 02-Jul-09 19:22:07

rice pud with rice milk blush

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jul-09 19:38:58

Just the same way you would with normal milk misdee, just substitute the rice milk. It is also nice made with coconut milk.

Velvetcushions, Plamil make a mayo that is dairy, egg and soya free, which could help mix things up a bit, you could do baked potatoes or sandwiches with coronation chicken or chicken and sweetcorn.

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jul-09 19:39:45

mayo here

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jul-09 19:41:56

sorry it's the rice mayo that's dairy, egg and soya free, the rest have soya in.

VelvetCushions Thu 02-Jul-09 20:01:25

Thanks. Some good ideas here.
Unfortunately he can't have chickpeas as part of the beans/lentil group.
We used to regularly eat lentils and chickepeas (and fish) but I don't think I've cooked them in ages now.
When I didn't feel like cooking, ds1 would be so happy with egg, cheese or beans on toast but now I feel I have to be so much more organised and it gets quite draining.

I'll look out for that mayo and oatly cream as that could definitely vary things.

Burgers would be a good idea. I suppose I could freeze a batch and I'm definitely going to try rice pudding with coconut milk. Even its just for me. Sounds gorgeous smile

VelvetCushions Thu 02-Jul-09 20:06:52

Trixy is your ds allergic to chickpeas?
Ds2 tested positive to all lentils - I assumed chickpeas was included in that group.

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jul-09 20:07:24

I know exactly what you mean, I would love to be able to give DS egg or beans. I am struggling to find summery meals in this hot weather particularly.

I don't know whether I should be admitting this, but when I don't feel like cooking DS has heinz spaghetti hoops and potato waffles <<bad mother emoticon>>.

Something that also goes down well is homemade pizza. I just don't put cheese on DS's.

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jul-09 20:09:58

Yes, he's allergic to everything in that group apart from peas and peanuts (although he has never tried peanuts, just had a negative test so is most likely allergic to them as well).

kalo12 Thu 02-Jul-09 20:13:53

shepherds pie

VelvetCushions Thu 02-Jul-09 20:19:40

Trixy he must have had to have loads of tests.
Ds2 has had one session of testing where they tested for 6 things that I was concerned with. He tested positive to peanuts although he's never had any. They didn't do a tree nut test which I would like done. It would be good if I found he could have almonds and other nuts.

I don't think it's that bad to give spaghetti hoops. I am going to try them.

Personally, I am really anti margarine/spreads so hate having to give Pure.

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jul-09 20:30:57

He did have loads of tests, they did them on his back the first time as there wasn't enough room. I think the consultant didn't believe me when he asked what I thought DS was allergic to and I produced a list, but they were all positive apart from tomato sad.

They then did a peanut skin test when he did the tomato challenge as they suspected as he was allergic to so many other legumes he would be allergic to peanuts as well. It was negative, but we don't give him any nuts anyway.

I hate giving DS marge as well, but don't have much choice.

VelvetCushions Thu 02-Jul-09 21:23:54

Do you give ds baked eggs? The dr told me to keep offering ds2 baked goods that include eggs. Obviously they're homemade with pure or oil, and include eggs. He seems to be ok with them so far, touch wood.
How old is your ds? Is he showing any signs of growing out of his dairy allergy?

I'm paranoid about giving ds2 anything new and had to pluck up loads of courage and stood there with the piriton ready when I gave him strawberries and mango!

tatt Thu 02-Jul-09 21:39:07

How about quinoa for a change?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/glossary/q.shtml?quinoa

Although it wouldn't work for you I sometimes resort to canned tomato soup when I get fed up of making different meals. I have tried making tomato soup from scratch but they prefer the tinned stuff, most probably for the higer sugar content. Nothing wrong with an occasional can - children with food allergies probably eat more heathily than most the majority of the time.

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jul-09 22:11:11

I haven't tried DS on baked egg yet as I have still not recovered from re-trying DS on humous on the dietician's advice!! It has made me ultra paranoid about knowingly trying stuff I think/know he is allergic to.

He is nearly 2 1/2 and I think it is possible that he is growing out of his dairy allergy. He ate a kit kat when my FIL was supposed to be watching him with no apparent side effects, whereas he used to react if someone was drinking milk beside him so I am hopeful.

We're back for re-testing in September so I'm hoping I don't get my hopes dashed!

Tatt I agree that with allergic children you don't have much choice but to cook from scratch most of the time so don't feel any guilt about the ocassional can of spaghetti hoops.

In fact i was laughing about the juxtaposition of a thread in AIBU about a mum being up in arms abou the nanny giving her PFB filled pasta and my thread in the allegry section being all excited about co-op doughnuts being egg, dairy and soya free!!!

misdee Thu 02-Jul-09 22:12:30

co-op dougnuts.
ooooooooooooooooooooo

i have been cooking a fair few roasts to cater for dd4. or salads

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now