Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Parents of BABIES with eczema... please tell me what you're are dressing them in in this heat!

(18 Posts)
EachPeachPearMum Tue 30-Jun-09 19:44:40

DS is in a sleepsuit- his ankles are sooo bad atm, and they are plastered up all the time with emolient, which I don't want a) all over everything, b) him eating- he just got to that gorgeous ankle grabbing stage!

But he is boiling... it is so muggy here... any suggestions?

That said- he even has it on his hands atm, and I can't put anything on them as they are constantly in his mouth sad

foxinsocks Tue 30-Jun-09 19:47:17

oh that's hard

I don't know what to suggest. Would he lie naked (in nappy) but tucked in under a thin cotton sheet?

toddlerama Tue 30-Jun-09 19:56:34

Is it just ankles / legs? I put DD 2 in a vest and long socks. Bit cooler cos thighs are bare and arms are bare.

EachPeachPearMum Tue 30-Jun-09 20:10:05

He has it on ankles, backs of knees, hands, and face atm...
toddlerama- do socks not irritate? I find DS' socks a little tight (he has pretty chunky legs grin) so thought that would irritate him.
He's still awake here, next to me- trying to drop off for over an hour bless him...

EachPeachPearMum Tue 30-Jun-09 20:11:42

re face- he has emolient slathered all over head, but he sleeps on a burp cloth (soft cotton jersey type) so I can change it each day, not have to do all bedding... he also has scratch mitts on, but if I switch to a vest these won't stay on without the grippiness of a sleepsuit.

foxinsocks Tue 30-Jun-09 20:30:10

from memory, I got a fan in their room when they were small and full of eczema tbh

(though I always found fans v irritating)

foxinsocks Tue 30-Jun-09 20:33:19

and it was hot, I should have said. Sorry, can barely get a sentence out today.

LenniEd Tue 30-Jun-09 20:35:54

EPPM - do you still have any of your DD's tights from when she was little? How about nappy and tights and no top/vest? If you trim his nails really short he shouldn't be able to scratch his face too easily and can always replace scratch mitts once he has fallen asleep maybe? Other option is babylegs - will find link.

LenniEd Tue 30-Jun-09 20:39:22

babylegs

sell them on babykind among others.

EachPeachPearMum Tue 30-Jun-09 20:51:05

Foxy- yes, I'm with you on irritating fans, and he's still in my room...

Lenni- dd's tights were thick wooly ones, so not really any different to sleepsuit really. re fingernails- he has sharp fingers I think! grin no matter how short I keep them, he manages to scratch... grrr

Aarrghh he is currently trying to rub his ankles on the bars of his cot...

I have switvhed him to a vest, with socks and scratch mitts- he looks hilarious! He is also finding it a bit of a laugh, and keeps giggling at me.... oh dear...

LenniEd Tue 30-Jun-09 20:54:36

Oh no - not fun. Once he's finished giggling and is asleep (hopefully soon) you'll have to take some pics of him dressed like that for posterity.

No idea what to do about sharp fingers though shock grin poor soul.

EachPeachPearMum Tue 30-Jun-09 21:42:56

LOL- well he has just dropped off... he had a big (nasty antibiotic) poo, so I changed him... noticed the socks were irritating him... so switched back to a loose sleepsuit.

MegBusset Tue 30-Jun-09 21:51:51

When DS1 was that age he would sleep (or not hmm) in one of these tops with built-in mitts, in a 0.5tog sleeping bag. If the ankles are the main bit you want to stop him scratching, then you could just put him in a nappy and sleeping bag.

Hope it improves for him soon, it's so horrid watching them suffer.

girlsyearapart Tue 30-Jun-09 22:03:57

Current sleepwear combo- cotton leggings too tight for her to get toenails under to scratch legs, sleeveless shorts babygro over the top and long cotton socks on her arms.A gorgeous look I'm sure you'll agree grin Get socks meant for older children. Also fan on her all night- but she is in her own room, even the noise as I go past the door is irritating enough! Nails can never be short enough for us either she can scratch face til it bleeds even just after nails trimmed..

keresley Tue 30-Jun-09 22:04:38

If you can afford it, buy an air conditioning unit. We had it on 24/7 when my son was at his worst. It was a true godsend.

EachPeachPearMum Tue 30-Jun-09 22:15:25

Thank you everyone...
Meg how is your new arrival?
girls- yes- you understand the nails thing... even just rubbing his ankles together makes them bad, which he delights in doing hmm
keresley- we don't really have room for an a/c unit- cotbed and doublebed, and bf chair take up all floor space... if it gets hotter though I will think seriously about it.

MegBusset Tue 30-Jun-09 23:25:58

He is great, thanks -- 9 weeks old and a right pudding

No sign of eczema on him yet -- by that age DS1 already had very dry, red skin. Here's hoping he gets away without it.

toddlerama Wed 01-Jul-09 11:39:36

Sorry I didn't come back to say, she wears her older sisters socks with a pair of Sock Ons to keep them on. The stay up because she's got chubster knees. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now