Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD4 allergic clinic tomorrow

(16 Posts)
misdee Tue 30-Jun-09 18:23:11

i am very very nervous.

Soph (7months) is not. lol

am hoping they do some tests

ilovemydogandmrobama Tue 30-Jun-09 18:24:52

DS had his skin prick tests last week. Was fine and he's hyper about nurses and doctors.

GhostOfPsychomum5 Tue 30-Jun-09 18:25:12

ooh, good luck.

you do know not to have given her any antihistamines for the last few days don;t you, in case they void any results??

misdee Tue 30-Jun-09 18:26:27

well, they wont be doing them tomorrow then. lol

as she is having a reaction right now and had 1ml of piriton.

so i shoulod change that to hoping they book her in for tests

tatt Tue 30-Jun-09 18:58:55

antihistamine doesn't cause problems with blood tests and doesn't necessarily void skin prick - if the histamine control comes up they are still some use. But they don't always do allergy tests so young, more interested in clinical and family history.

misdee Tue 30-Jun-09 19:20:25

strong family history of allergies on dh side, and all 4 of my girls have allergies.

dde4 seems the most severe, as trace/contact is causing her skin to go all rashy

GhostOfPsychomum5 Tue 30-Jun-09 19:21:12

tatt, at out clinic they refuse unless you have been antishistamine free for 4 days or more...........hell on the run up when the clinic is in the summer and I react daily!

what is she reacting to know misdee, do you know??

misdee Tue 30-Jun-09 19:25:42

apart from milk, i suspect egg, pollens, dustmites and hoping not peanuts as well

GhostOfPsychomum5 Tue 30-Jun-09 21:14:40

<<argh>> for you.

might be the heat, I am reacting at the mo to the heat.

reacted to peanuts last weekend tho<<sob>>.....not avoiding nuts properly now instead of being lax (as I was regardless of what my blood test had claimedblush)

tatt Wed 01-Jul-09 08:38:57

guess we had a kinder doc, one clinic we went to would still did them if you'd had anti-histamine. Don't know about the other as we'd managed to avoid it that time.

tinytalker Wed 01-Jul-09 14:25:14

When my daughter went for RAST testing they asked that she be anti-histamine free for 2 weeks!!!! And for skin tests it was at least 3 days.
As soon as we came out of both tests she glugged down the piriton, poor kid.

Egg Wed 01-Jul-09 14:29:43

DS2 (nearly 18 months) had his allergy appt last week and they only did the preliminaries and no actual testing (lots of questions, plus weighing and measuring etc).

Probably still worth going for your appt unless you know they are speficically doing actual tests tomorrow.

I am 90% sure what DS2 is allergic to. So now they are not going to bother doing the tests sad. It's v annoying. Doc was lovely and helpful etc, but basically just said to avoid all known allergens. I really wanted some confirmation.

misdee Wed 01-Jul-09 16:32:32

well they drew blood.

they are testiung for allergies to

milk
eggs
soya
nuts
fish
shellfish

dd4 and i have to avoid all milk products inc cheese, butter, anything taht contains milk pwder etc etc. have been referred to the dietician

and the shocking thing is, and i feel like a really bad parent for this,is when going through the family history , imentioend dd2 allergy to apples, and she wants to see dd2, as it could be a minor allwergy or it could be one that leads to anaphylatic reactions shock she wants to do tests. so am seeing gp tomorrow to get dd2 referred to the clinic. feel bad about that as just been keeping her off apples and didnt go to the gp.

misdee Wed 01-Jul-09 19:43:34

feeling sory for myself evening bump

tatt Thu 02-Jul-09 07:27:37

misdee I don't think you need to feel too bad over it, you've kept her away from apples. Many problems with fruit are just oral allergy syndrome so not too much of a problem. However some people claim there has been an increase in more serious fruit allergies recently, hence the need to test.

Hazelwhirls Tue 14-Jul-09 23:07:26

Hi - if anybody has recent experience of getting themselves or kids to allergy clinics, pls let me know how you got on - see thread Hazelwhirls.
Thx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now