Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lactulose intolerance?! Associated with prematurity

(6 Posts)
oxcat1 Fri 26-Jun-09 19:12:44

Hello,

I look after a child who's mum has just informed me that she has both a lactulose and a wheat intolerance. I can't find any information on lactulose, other than the suggestion that it's a laxative? The wheat intolerance is also puzzling, as apparently she can't have bread, but she can have toast and biscuits.

Apparently it's because she was premature? She's now 11. Obviously I shall absolutely respect the mum's wishes, but this all sounds a little odd to me. I've been looking after her after school for nearly 3 years and his has only just come to light.

hmmmm.

thisisyesterday Fri 26-Jun-09 19:17:12

it's lactose, not lactulose, that's why you can't find anything

wheat thing is bizarre though, she can either eat it or she can't. if she was actually intolerant it would make no difference if it was bread or toast

oxcat1 Fri 26-Jun-09 19:24:18

I was surprised about the lactulose thing too - but I asked her mum to write it down, and that's what she's written. She's a nurse too!

thisisyesterday Fri 26-Jun-09 19:27:15

oh. well in that case she's clearly bonkers!
as if you'd be feeding the child laxatives hmm

bizarre indeed

actually, i would ask her next time you see her about the lactulose. say you were looking it up to make sure you knew all about it so you didn't give her any inadvertantly but could only find stuff about laxatives... see what she says.

oxcat1 Fri 26-Jun-09 19:42:38

If I were giving her laxatives, you'd hardly be suprised if she showed symptoms of an intolerance - i.e. tummy problems!

tatt Fri 26-Jun-09 21:10:45

Lactose intolerance is common in premature babies but like other babies with lactose intolerance they often grow out of it. If she has a problem with wheat she shouldn't have toast and biscuits (unless they are gluten free products). So I imagine the poor child grew out of her problems years ago and has been having a restricted diet for no good reason. Nurses don't get much training in allergies.

If you can gently suggest that the child may benefit from seeing a dietician they might put her straight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now