Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swollen eye, puffy face and lips in 9mo old

(14 Posts)
girlsyearapart Fri 26-Jun-09 11:37:52

Yesterday pm my DD 9 months who has v bad excema which seems partly diet related was really itching and had puffy face. This morning her eye was swollen nearly shut and her face and lips swollen too. Took her about 3 times as long to drink her bottle. Took her to A&E as worried that it could be something affecting her airway. They gave her piriton which has helped bring swelling down. The doctor said he thinks it's unlikely to be a food reaction but I'm not so sure. any advice?? The doc thought it was 'an extension symptom of her excema' and could be due to pollen. Had preliminary RAST results her scoreis 67 but i don't really know what this means?? Highest individual score was egg white 3. DH away for next 5 days need help!! Argh!

chloesmumtoo Fri 26-Jun-09 12:45:43

oh sounds awful, poor little thing. I am afraid i am not up on Rast results. Have dd with eczema and many many food allergies diagnosed by the skin prick testing. My dd has actually had a puffy face in the past when little but I was not very aware of her allergies back then and not sure what she ate but did remember putting on a suncream the day before and blamed it on that. Pollen allergy can cause puffyness in peoples eyes but I am not sure on the lips and face, maybe someone will be more up on things in a mo. I would suspect food? do you know what she ate?

chloesmumtoo Fri 26-Jun-09 12:48:53

My dd has the bad peanut allergy and so many multiple food allergies it is getting imposible to list! She also has pollen allergy anlong side dustmite. The intense itching has always been a sign aswell as hives.

morningpaper Fri 26-Jun-09 12:49:42

tried any new suncreams?

chloesmumtoo Fri 26-Jun-09 12:59:27

Have they kept her on periton at the mo?

Bilbomum Fri 26-Jun-09 14:17:23

My ds has severe eczema and food allergies and spent all day yesterday trying to rip his arms and legs to shreds. I think the grass pollen count was especially high yesterday and seemed to be to blame although he has never reacted to it before. Perhaps the dr's right and it's a pollen reaction. DS didn't swell up in the face/eyes as he does with food reactions but he was far more itchy than usual (if that's possible..!)

As far as I know RAST tests the histamine levels in the blood, ds is usually in the 600's but levels can be in the 1000's your dd's reading doesn't seem too bad. Someone more knowledgeable may correct me though.

Suncream sounds likely as well if you haven't introduced any new foods recently.

Keep up with the Piriton though if it's still affecting her.

girlsyearapart Sat 27-Jun-09 06:51:30

Thanks everyone. No new suncreams. Only thing i gave her was melon she had had some before but had more than that this time. The doc said he thought if it was food it would be same on both sides of her face but i thought what if she put her hands on her mouth and then touched one eye?? The piriton def working though and - bizarrely- the two nights since it happened she has slept all night. Rare rare pleasure!!!!

chloesmumtoo Sat 27-Jun-09 11:08:01

oh, my dd ate melon and became very upset. sore mouth, allergy bumps on neck and distressed ect. Had to give her big dose of periton and kept a close eye on her. Stopped giving over past year but she is due a skin prick test on it in July! She had previously ate them too but as with food allergies, the first time eating it is ok and then the body decides it doesnt like it for the next encounter. I would watch that girlsyearapart.

chloesmumtoo Sat 27-Jun-09 11:10:29

yeah some dc's become drowsy with periton. I think my dd build up an amunity though lol, never seemed to bother her. She lived off it when little due to all her bodies reactions

girlsyearapart Sat 27-Jun-09 19:51:53

Yeah think we may give melon a miss as I'm totally unconvinced about it being definitely non food based. The sleeping not due to Piriton as she has a dose practically every night to reduce itching. Everytime they prescribe it they say about the drowsiness i'm yet to encounter any!!

tinytalker Sat 27-Jun-09 23:48:40

What type of cream do you put on her excema?
I just found out on a website that Dermovate excema cream and Naseptin cream contain Arachis Oil which is peanut based. Check the ingredients of her cream, could be a nut allergy?
The website was
www.alwaysreadthelabel.info

chloesmumtoo Sun 28-Jun-09 09:11:00

I always struggled with dd and her increased itching all the time too when little. Sounds very familiar to me. I was always convinced her problems were food related too and in the end it proved so. Just wondered girlsyearapart, have you come across the special eczema clothing on www.eczemaclothing.com Before we found these I would be sat sewing socks on pj's in desperation with her intense itching. They are a god send, even though expensive, I dont know how we would have managed without them. Dd used to live in them to protect her skin and even though 7 now and grately improved she still wears them for bed and after school if itchy.

girlsyearapart Sun 28-Jun-09 18:33:26

That is interesting.. She had dermacort that night instead of eumovate . Hope to god she doesn't have a nut allergy. Her rast was a 3 for egg so i guess that's out. Her problems must be partly food based as she looks a million times better since the food has been altered.
We use the babygros from snugglepaws but when she's itching she can wriggle her way out of anything!Now currently wearing leggings and a sleevless shorts babygro with a rather fetching pair of long brown socks on her arms. Mini Boden won't be asking her to model I don't think... grin

girlsyearapart Sun 28-Jun-09 18:37:01

Just checked the dermacort doesn't seem to contain anything untoward..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now