Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

does anyone know about fish/shellfish intolerance?

(5 Posts)
kissmummy Thu 25-Jun-09 16:53:31

I used to love prawns, sushi etc, but ever since having my DS (now two) i've had dreadful indigestion after eating any of those things (and crayfish and shrimps.) Now i've started getting the same horrible indigestion type symptoms after eating other types of fish too (seabass, usually.) i'm gutted - i love all these foods and of course they're really healthy, but it's not worth the pain. And i'm wondering what next i'm not going to be able to eat...sad
Should i consult a doctor or is this 'just one of those things'? where else can i get information/advice on this weird reaction?
i don't know anything about food intolerances and am not sure whether they are resolvable.

mummygogo Thu 25-Jun-09 17:57:22

I used to eat most fish but not fanatical although never poorly with it.

A few years ago I was ill after eating Chinese, Thai, Lobster and Crab. Only dawned on me that the shellfish was the connection. I believe some chinese/thai restaurants use fish oil.

Anyway the effect is agonising stomach cramps to reduce me to tears and my belly balloons. I phoned the doctor who said that it is the intestines swelling (lovely) it would get better after about 5 hours but then I'd feel rough the next day.

Haven't had a proper testing but didn't see the point I am clearly allergic or intolerant (whatever the difference is I am not too sure. If you look at lots of food packages they say if it contains shellfish so I guess it must be relatively common.

I'd be interested to hear what you do and what your doctor says

tatt Fri 26-Jun-09 06:53:53

strangely I discovered yesterday a colleague has shellfish allergy (they were served at a buffet lunch). Hers started years ago and she faints. She can still eat fish but now also faints if ill with any bug.

I'd always recommend anyone with a food allergy to see a proper allergy consultant for advice.

Allergy uk have a factsheet, don't know if it's any good http://www.allergyuk.org/infofactsheetsrange.aspx

tatt Fri 26-Jun-09 06:54:37

Trying a link www.allergyuk.org/info_factsheets_range.aspx

lynneevans51 Sun 02-Aug-09 18:07:35

I've had what I thought to be a seafood allergy for years - would vomit uncontrollably, itchy hands etc. Thing is, sometimes it would happen and sometimes not. Rather odd. So basically I just avoid all fish, shellfish in particular (ie seafood). After a rather frightening anaphalactic (sp?) shock episode a few months ago without knowing what had actually caused it (!), I was referred to a clinic. It worked out that it was a "co-consumption allergy". For example, seafood is fine when taken on its own, BUT, if I happen to have any alcohol at the same time (even a white wine sauce), then the allergy rears its ugly head. Apparently co-consumption allergies are quite common - but was news to me!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now