Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

swimming with eczema, saltwater pools?

(5 Posts)
ac27 Wed 24-Jun-09 15:56:28

I'd love my 3yo DS to be able to learn to swim, but his eczema and asthma flare up horribly in chlorinated pools. Does anyone have any suggestions as to o-zone, saltwater or other pools in the London area that might be suitable for him to swim in?

redandgreen Wed 24-Jun-09 16:07:57

Fulham pools has a chlorine free pool.

chloesmumtoo Thu 25-Jun-09 10:41:42

I am not much help in the fact of knowing what you have in your area but just wanted to say my dd manages well now even in chlorinated pools. she has a short 30 min lesson once a week and I cover her in epaderm and then put on a little surf suit swim suit just so she is not to slippery for the teachers and it holds the cream in. after we get her home, giving her a nice soak in the bath and then moisterising her as norm. I think being a short lesson and the combination of the epaderm works well. I put it off for so long worrying and then just decided to give it a go with her bro and its worked well.

cuppachar Thu 25-Jun-09 16:58:10

there's been some research recently that suggested a very mild bleach solution is actually beneficial to eczema sufferers, and my understanding was therefore that swimming pools can be a good thing. Not much help to you if your DS is actually reacting though I'm afraid! Is the effect lasting or does it calm down quickly?

cuppachar Thu 25-Jun-09 17:00:37

Oh, one other thing: salt water makes my eczema really really sting. The time I noticed it much was when I got given a voucher to use a floatation tank as a present. They use very very salty water and it was agony - so much for a relaxing experience! Sea water's not too bad to be honest so I guess it depends largely on how salty the water is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now