Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What could I be allergic to in yoghurt?

(9 Posts)
BottySpottom Tue 23-Jun-09 22:42:01

I have cut back on sugar recently as I thought I may have a yeast/sugar intollerance as I was getting a bloated stomach and stomach pains. My stomach has been much better until this evening when I had a bowl of plain yoghurt with a small teaspoon of sugar on top.

My stomach immediately swelled up and has been quite painful. What is there in yoghurt I could be allergic to?

I have been taking Acidophilus tablets recently.

BottySpottom Tue 23-Jun-09 22:43:13

PS - forgot to say, I have been wondering about lactose intollerance, but have been eating cheese, milk cooked in porridge and milk in tea with no problems.

unforgivenfriend Tue 23-Jun-09 22:43:23

The sugar you put on it comes to mind.

kitkatqueen Tue 23-Jun-09 22:43:34

Depends on the yogurt - check the ingredients...

kitkatqueen Tue 23-Jun-09 22:44:14

Why would u put sugar on yogurt?hmm

Eeek Tue 23-Jun-09 22:46:40

Aspartame probably. Famous for triggering migraines. Never heard of it doing much else but it is horrible stuff.

BottySpottom Tue 23-Jun-09 22:49:13

I had the same amount of sugar I have been having every morning on porridge - I have been fine with it.

The yoghurt doesn't have an ingredients list, but is Sainsbury's value natural yoghurt - so no sweeteners or anything.

kitkatqueen Tue 23-Jun-09 23:00:46

then I would say either milk or the bacteria they put into milk to turn it into yogurt - there should be an ingredients list even if it is just natural yogurt...

SarahMorrow Sun 30-Aug-09 15:44:16

People can be, or become, allergic to anything, including yogurt. I get stuffed up and can't breathe for hours, any time I eat yogurt or cheese or any sort. My brother is the same way.

l thought for a while it might be another ingredient triggering the allergy, such as the gelatin some companies add to their yogurt, so tried many different brands, some without any fillers at all... just milk and bacteria.... then tried making my own yogurt from milk and yogurt starter. But it was just as bad that way. Then I tried raw milk yogurt... just as bad. I love the taste and like the idea of all the purported health benefits, but literally can't breathe after I eat the stuff.

Oddly enough, I can drink milk by the gallon, without problems... and I can take acidopholous in capsules with no bad reaction.... it's the yogurt itself that triggers this reaction. (And I get the same reaction when I eat cheese). It's unpleasant and uncomfortable, and could be life threatening, my breathing closes up so completely when I eat it. So if your youngster has a reaction to cheese or yogurt, take it seriously, the symptoms can be serious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now