Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nut free skincare - any ideas?

(6 Posts)
Utka Fri 13-May-05 11:11:33

DD1 has bad eczema and is also allergic to nuts (plus egg, banana, kiwi fruit).

She's having a particularly bad phase at the moment, and, in an effort to feel like we might be able to do something to help her, I'm trying to 'purify' our lifestyle (!) by going back to basics with the products we use.

We've discovered that most of the skincare range we use (shampoo, bath emollients and skin creams) seem to be based on coconut and / or palm oil derivitives. We've been advised to steer clear of both.

I've checked on loads of product websites and can find nothing that claims to be nut free. The anaphylactic society helpline (who were very helpful) says we should be ok if the products have been refined, as this removes the offending proteins. Product websites don't give this info however.. Has anyone else found suitable products to cope with a nut allergy?

Thanks

ecomum Sun 22-May-05 12:04:07

I sympathise as was determined to find a natural alternative to the petrochemical gunk we have to slap all over DS every day - but everything else seems to be nut oil based eg allergenics etc.

The one thing we do use is the better baby barrier balm from little green earthlets. This is olive oil and beeswax based and he is OK with it.

Kittypickle Sun 22-May-05 13:10:23

Utka, if you would like I can make something up for you to see if it helps - I made a cream for a couple of friends' children who have eczema . It has shea butter in which is derived from karite nut but I can substitute something else for that and would happily send you a pot to try if you would like (and won't be at all offended if you don't want to !) CAT me if you'd like some.

Utka Tue 24-May-05 23:24:22

Kittypickle. Thanks for this. I came across shea butter and requested a sample from someone locally who makes all her own soaps etc. She wasn't sure whether dd would also be allergic but said to test a small area. To be honest, I haven't had the guts to try it yet (dd's eczema is currently very bad), so would love to be able to avoid all nuts if possible. If you are able to send me a small sample I'd be very grateful. Will CAT you tonight.

Thanks

Chandra Tue 24-May-05 23:33:02

DS has suspected peanut allergy (we are waiting for the test to be done) but I have found that it is also a good idea to stay away of bath products that have soya in them (curiously, Balneum, that is often prescribed for eczema, do has soya oil).

Have you tried bathing her with oats (just put a handfull of oats in a sock and let the hot water pass through the sock. We have not tried it with DS but I have heard wonders about them form other mums with children with eczema. Sea salt in the bath is great to reduce weeping flares, just need to apply lots of emollient afterwards.

tr Fri 03-Jun-05 16:16:01

utka. my dd has a nut allergy and eczema( although not badly. she has the odd patch at elbows, behind knees etc)but she does have very dry skin all over. i get Oilatum bath emollient on prescription for her baths and Oilatum lotion for afterwards. I have been doing this for a few years now. It works for my dd but maybe the ingredients are not to your liking. No palm oil or nuts but there is paraffin and alcohol. Anyway, good luck to you and i hope she gets better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now