Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any coeliacs around - have you ever eaten rye by mistake?

(6 Posts)
onepieceofcremeegg Sat 20-Jun-09 19:43:45

Dh is coeliac, has been diagnosed as a baby and normally adheres very strictly to his gf diet.

However, a friend very kindly gave him some "wheat free" peanut cookies. He didn't check the packaging and it turns out they are 28% rye flour. He ate about 4-5 before I pointed this out!

This was 24 hours ago. He says that normally by now he would have had a reaction if this had been wheat. (the reaction meaning several loo trips within about 12 hours, sorry if tmi)

Is is possible that the reaction to rye would be less severe/more delayed? Has anyone else made a slip up wrt rye?

TIA

onepieceofcremeegg Sat 20-Jun-09 19:57:12

CMOTdibbler Sat 20-Jun-09 20:06:58

I think the gluten content of rye is lower, so he might not get such a severe reaction.

I've never slipped up with rye, but am always very careful with wheat free labelled products

onepieceofcremeegg Sat 20-Jun-09 20:10:20

Thanks for your reply.

The friend has a lactose intolerance so is normally very cautious but between them she and dh made a bit of a mistake!Part of the problem was that the brand was Mrs Crimbles and some of their products are definitely gf not just wheat free.

Interesting re the gluten content of rye possibly being lower, wonder if it is the same with barley. He always reacts to wheat tbh. (although slip ups are rare now)

CMOTdibbler Sat 20-Jun-09 21:23:10

Those Mrs Crimbles ones drive me nuts - they should stick to one or the other imo

Barley also lower in gluten - less than rye iirc

onepieceofcremeegg Sat 20-Jun-09 21:28:54

That's really helpful, thanks.

(not that he will be indulging in rye or barley deliberately but it's helpful to know in case of further slip ups)

We've had a few near misses with Mrs Crimbles tbh, the labelling isn't always clear (but the coconut macaroon type cakes are yummy)

Incidentally he met a lady last week who has been coeliac for years and she had been a bit unwell after a night out - turned out she never realised that lager isn't gf.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now