Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Antihistamines

(5 Posts)
SoupDragon Sat 20-Jun-09 08:29:36

DS1 gets bad hayfever. He has 1 one-a-day dose of Certirizine hydrochloride which petty much sees him through the school day.

Can I give him a dose of loratadine after school? I'm not planning on doing this regularly, but there are occasional (less than once a fortnight) times when an extra boost of antihistamine would be useful.

Also, which is the better antihistamine for hayfever - the Certirizine or the Loratadine? Or is it, as I suspect, much of a muchness and whichever seems to suit a particular person?

Juwesm Sat 20-Jun-09 20:11:09

I would say the two are much of a muchness, but no to giving a dose of loratidine - this would be much the same as giving a double dose of cetirizine i.e. an overdose. You could try dividing the cetirizine dose into 5mg twice daily and see if this gives better symptom control.

sausagerolemodel Sat 20-Jun-09 20:19:26

Apparently taking the anti-histamine in the evening not the morning has beneficial affects (although cant remember why and can't find the paper now!). If the loratidine isn't providing quite enough cover for him, you could supplement with sudafed (if its runny nose) and/or eyedrops for itchy eyes. (I have done this successfully in the past but maybe check with doc or pharmacist first fro use in children)

SoupDragon Sun 21-Jun-09 18:33:22

I thought as much. I don't think a half dose would see him through the school day and he's not allowed to take it at school unless I go in and give it to him. Could really do with something to give a boost on the occasional days he's out after school in the fields/woods at a friend's house. He sneezes, gets a runny nose and his eyes go red swollen, poor lad!

Will look at sudafed/eyedrops.

SoupDragon Sun 21-Jun-09 18:33:31

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now