Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

neocate and cooking...please help!!

(11 Posts)
simpson Thu 18-Jun-09 23:15:24

DD (16mths) has been on neocate since she was 10mths and TBH quite likes the taste hmm odd child but am finding that she doesn't want to drink she wants to eat iyswim.

So now she has cut down to only 6/7 ozs a day sad

She will only really eat finger food type meals.

So mashed potato is definately out sad

Anyone got any ideas??

Also can I freeze food cooked with neocate?

And also I have heard that if you do cook with it, you shouldn't let it boil, just simmer?

TIA

AcademicMum Thu 18-Jun-09 23:21:03

There is quite a good recipe book with ideas on the neocate website. I'll see if I can find the link.

AcademicMum Thu 18-Jun-09 23:25:06

www.neocate.co.uk/aaa_neocate/9946-cooking-with-neocate.html. The clickable list of recipes are here. Might give a few ideas?

simpson Fri 19-Jun-09 09:32:07

might be being a bit of a numpty but I can't see any recipes there blush blush

AcademicMum Fri 19-Jun-09 22:07:27

Oh, sorry, it defaults to the neocate disclaimer on breastfeeding first. I don't think there is any way around this. If you go from there to the small, clickable "Cooking with Neocate" which is just above the "Please read our policy regarding breast milk before proceeding". It should take you to the correct bit of the site.

simpson Fri 19-Jun-09 23:10:58

Oooh thank you!!

<<dances round room>>

Am chuffed to have new things to try, especially liking the pancakes & fritters.

Doesn't say if I can freeze them though?

<<ponders>>

AcademicMum Fri 19-Jun-09 23:37:05

We freeze things made with neocate. I think it's ok (I add a bit to everything - not that I'm paranoid about him not getting enough or anything).

simpson Fri 19-Jun-09 23:41:45

TBh I think I am going to start doing what you do and if there is enough liquid ie a stew/curry chuck a scoop of neocate in at the end iyswim.

I know what you mean about trying to get them to take as much as possible smile

ilovemydogandmrobama Sat 20-Jun-09 21:58:45

DS is on Neocate, but use Oatly and Oatly cream to cook with. I use it for cooking, such as a 'cheese' sauce for lasagne, and with cereal in the morning.

I use oatly cream for mash and for bulking out stews, sauces. Also coconut milk is good, and very high in calories. I do a chicken korma with a little bit of garam masala and coconut milk. The kids seem to love it...

simpson Sun 21-Jun-09 20:55:22

Unfortunately DD is intolerant to oats too so oatly milk is out sad

Would make life sooo much easier if she wasn't as then I could cook shepherds pie with it in that the rest of family could eat.

I doubt very much that DS (3) would like food with neocate in grin

Weta Thu 25-Jun-09 15:22:06

@Simpson
Actually you don't really notice the taste in cooking - I made fritters yesterday and my non-allergic 2yo wolfed them down as well.
I usually avoid it in cooking though as I had some disastrous attempts at pancakes and custard and it just wouldn't set in any way. The recipes on the site might be better though - I didn't know about those!

@Ilovemydog... could you give your recipe for the chicken korma? sounds divine! I did try a fish in coconut milk recipe but DS1 turned his nose up at it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now