Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dairy allergy and MMR

(9 Posts)
AcademicMum Thu 18-Jun-09 22:15:47

DS2 is due to have his MMR vaccine soon. I know that one ingredient of the vaccine is lactose and DS2 has a cows milk allergy. I know that cows milk allergy is a reaction to milk protein not lactose, but still it worries me in case the vaccine could be contaminated with milk protein. What have others done with dairy allergic children and MMR? Have the injection? Have it in hospital? Or do the single vaccines not contain lactose?

tatt Thu 18-Jun-09 22:43:25

Lactose isn't listed as an ingredient here? http://www.novaccine.com/specific-vaccines/vaccine.asp?v_id=34

simpson Thu 18-Jun-09 22:52:06

whwn DD had her MMR I told the nurse before hand (rang a week before) and they said the MMR they use didn't have lactose in and she was fine with it.

I would check with docs/nurse beforehand though just to make sure....

AcademicMum Thu 18-Jun-09 22:55:08

I've already got the drug infomation sheet for it from the GP and lactose is definately listed in the version they use. Maybe I'll ask if they will provide the vaccine from another manufacturer for him (without lactose).

AcademicMum Thu 18-Jun-09 23:00:34

Also listed as an ingredient on the link you posted, Tatt. The version they give at our surgery is called Priorix (made by GlaxoSmithKline)

simpson Thu 18-Jun-09 23:11:38

Grrr DD only had her MMR a few mths ago and the nurse gave me the ingredients for MMR to check a week beforehand (for my peace of mind she had already done it herself) and I can't find it!!

I know they ordered a special one in for her though.

She is lactose intolerant BTW.

tatt Fri 19-Jun-09 06:43:27

sorry - when I searched netdoctor suggested M-M-RVAXPRO was used here. It's many years since mine had MMR and they aren't lactose intolerant.

Maybe ask for that one to be ordered for you?

AcademicMum Fri 19-Jun-09 22:10:56

DS2 isn't lactose intolerant, he's allergic to cows milk protein, but I'm terrified that the lactose could be contaminated with some of the protein. I saw the effect that just the tiniest bit of yoghurt had on him and I've truly never been so scared. So I don't want to take the risk.

I think I'll do as you suggest and ask for a different version of the vaccine.

Thanks for your help.

ilovemydogandmrobama Fri 19-Jun-09 22:17:09

ds recently had his, and he was OK. This was after an episode that his consultant thinks was anaphylactic after eating a minute piece of cheese.

Oh, and may be worth checking the other vaccines too? DS got a booster for something or other at the same time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now