Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

can anyone tell me about that dairy-free alternative to formula?

(10 Posts)
misdee Tue 16-Jun-09 15:33:38

cant recall what its called?

i want to know whats in it, how its made, etc etc.

ilovemydogandmrobama Tue 16-Jun-09 15:36:20

neocate? nutramigen?

misdee Tue 16-Jun-09 15:38:14

thank you.

Sunshinemummy Tue 16-Jun-09 15:43:12

Misdee my understanding is that it's made from cows milk but the proteins that cause a reaction are broken down to allow for digestion by those with problems. Nutramigen is broken down into a few pieces and Neocate is broken down into one molecule. That's how DD's paediatrician described it anyway.

I don't know how it's made though.

misdee Tue 16-Jun-09 15:51:18

am googling now for information

am assuming that wysoy is not typically offered these days?

trixymalixy Tue 16-Jun-09 15:52:31

Neocate doesn't contain any cow's milk protein. Nutramigen does, but it is broken down so less likely to cause an allergic reaction.

Nutramigen AA is similar to neocate in that it is amino acid based and contains no cow's milk protein.

You could try their websites for more info.

ilovemydogandmrobama Tue 16-Jun-09 16:20:26

Soy formula? The dietician said no to DS being on soy formula as he's so intolerant. In hospital he was on Nutramingen, and then went onto Neocate, although did see some children on Wsoy.

Sunshinemummy Tue 16-Jun-09 18:51:04

Apparently around 40% of children who are allergic to cow's milk are also allergic to soy, which is why dieticians suggest going directly to Nutramigen or Neocate.

simpson Tue 16-Jun-09 19:22:02

My DD doesn't have an allergy but a severe intolerance and she was put on wysoy first and was ok for a few wks then developed problems with that too sad

She has been on neocate since she was 10mths and she loves it, odd child hmm

Although the smell of it makes me want to vom. So God knows what the taste is like...

She is now 16mths BTW.

AcademicMum Tue 16-Jun-09 23:16:20

My ds2 was on Pepti Junior and just as I successfully weaned him from BF to that (at 12 months), on his birthday he had an allergic reaction to that as well sad! (Pepti Junior is similar to Nutramigen but Nutramigen is based on broken down (hydrolysed) casein whereas Pepti is based on hydrolysed whey). He's now on Neocate Advance (unflavoured) - he refused to entertain the flavoured version hmm, which is available for over 1's. We gave him Infasoy whilst getting him onto the Neocate, which took about 2 weeks in total.

There are issues with soy formula though and phyto-oestrogens in little boys, but nothing which is really proven just a fairly limited study in primates. Also as Sunshinemummy says, many dairy allergic children are also sensitive to soy (and I think soy is a "worse" allergy than dairy in terms of avoiding soy products and likeihood to grow out of it).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now