Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eczema and Suncream

(9 Posts)
Pammym Mon 15-Jun-09 10:34:53

I am struggling with my DS's eczema at the moment and even though I am using Green People Organic suncream SPF 25, I think it is making things worse - his arms have big patches of dry, red, itchy skin. As this make is supposed to be totally natural and suitable for sensitive skin, I am not sure where else to turn. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Pammym.

PigeonPie Mon 15-Jun-09 10:41:18

I've been using Sun Sense Toddler Milk which I got from Little Green Earthlets.

I use it on the DSs and also on me as I have sensitive skin and I haven't had a problem with it.

2Shoots Mon 15-Jun-09 10:46:50

My dd's dermatologist told me that it's trial and error as to what suits each child but one thing he did say is not to use too high a factor as it clogs their skin. I always keep dd in long sleeve thin tops and long trousers. When she's swimming she has aswimming suit that covers her arms, legs and torso. The best way to deal with it is to cover up rather thn use suncream

JodieO Mon 15-Jun-09 10:48:30

I use the aveeno one for ds2 and he has really severe eczema. The creams I use are also aveeno for him and they are amazing, nothing else made a difference. His skin is so much better since I've been using it. I really would recommend the aveeno sun cream.

Pammym Mon 15-Jun-09 11:07:36

Thanks everyone. I think I will cover him up for a week or so until his skin calms down and then try one of the recommendations you have sugggested.

Pammym.

HaventSleptForAYear Mon 15-Jun-09 11:20:31

Have you thought that it might just be the sun making him itch?

Myself and my mother particularly are allergic to the sun - it brings out our eczema.

A child with eczema shouldn't really be out in the sun at all - avoid 12 - 4pm totally, and the rest of the time in 3/4 length trousers, big baggy t-shirt and hat which covers neck and face.

Yes I know it doesn't sound like a lot of fun but any heat on skin with cream on will make him itch.

Heated Mon 15-Jun-09 11:25:32

Through expensive trial and error, E45 sunscreen works brilliantly for my two. It does go on very thickly and makes them look rather ghostly to begin with. Boots sometimes stock it, as does Amazon. My dcs also need to bathe every evening if they've applied sunscreen, since any cream makes them hot and itchy at night.

Acekicker Tue 16-Jun-09 14:52:23

Another Sunsense fan here. We were recommended the Toddler Milk it by a paediatric dermatologist and it has always worked really well for us.

Pammym Tue 16-Jun-09 15:29:28

Thanks for the above replies. HaventSleptForaYear, I am trying the whole cover up thing and avoiding any suncream at the moment until his skin settles down. I am then going to try out some of the ones recommended on here. Thanks again.

Pammym.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now